Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Whatmough Sulfur Giants

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2289
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Whatmough Sulfur Giants Empty
PostSubject: Whatmough Sulfur Giants   Whatmough Sulfur Giants Empty24th September 2008, 6:53 am

I have an important question about world building.

The dear Whatmough speculated about the existence of Sulfur Jovians, i.e hot water jovians within Venusian orbital zones.
Water-richs but stained of sulfur clouds with yellowish appearance.
I remember such a speculation has been ruled out, I think.

Which model could replace old sulfur jovians and which appearance would such planets have? alien

Thank you for the attention.
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Whatmough Sulfur Giants   Whatmough Sulfur Giants Empty24th September 2008, 7:23 am

The problem with the sulfuric acid cloud jovians is that the Venusian atmosphere is completely different to a gas giant atmosphere. Venus is an oxygen-rich planet (i.e. lots of compounds with lots of oxygen in them, not lots of free oxygen around), Jupiter is hydrogen-rich. Thus extrapolating the chemistry of one to the other is very dubious: the possibility doesn't appear to have come up in any papers about the behaviour of sulfur compounds on gas giants.

The planets in question probably come under Sudarsky class III, assuming the Sudarsky model is correct.
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Whatmough Sulfur Giants   Whatmough Sulfur Giants Empty24th September 2008, 6:10 pm

Gas planets accrete their atmospheres from the solar nebula. (i.e. "primary atmospheres"). The terrestrial planets form their atmospheres by other sources, such as outgassing ("secondary atmospheres"). I don't see how a gas planet can get a good amount of sulfur, except perhaps accretting material from a moon (i.e. Jupiter eating Io).

Juramike
Micrometeorite
Micrometeorite

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Whatmough Sulfur Giants   Whatmough Sulfur Giants Empty24th September 2008, 11:09 pm

Just 'cuz I hate saying "it can't happen":

How about a very metal rich protoplanetary nebula? Accrete lotsa sulfur, and water, and some metals. Have a liquid phase down deep that helps sequester out carbonates and oxides over sulfides (or sulfur concentration just outnumbers the initial oxygen concentration) and voila you have a sulfuric acid atmosphere.

(Might get some funky redox chemistry happening in there as well.)

-Mike
Back to top Go down
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Whatmough Sulfur Giants   Whatmough Sulfur Giants Empty26th September 2008, 10:14 am

I believe they may fall under as a "class II" planet (because they do preside in the habitable zone).
Back to top Go down
http://nuclearvacuum.wikia.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whatmough Sulfur Giants   Whatmough Sulfur Giants Empty

Back to top Go down

Whatmough Sulfur Giants
Page 1 of 1