Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Evidence for 2nd planet at Iota Draconis

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4319
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Evidence for 2nd planet at Iota Draconis Empty
PostSubject: Evidence for 2nd planet at Iota Draconis   Evidence for 2nd planet at Iota Draconis EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 8:35 pm

The Discovery of Stellar Oscillations in the K Giant $\iota$ Dra
http://arxiv.org/abs/0809.4857

Abstract wrote:
$\iota$ Dra (HIP 75458) is a well-known example for a K giant hosting a substellar companion since its discovery by Frink et al. (2002). We present radial velocity measurements of this star from observations taken with three different instruments spanning nearly 8 years. They show more clearly that the RV period is long-lived and coherent thus supporting the companion hypothesis. The longer time baseline now allows for a more accurate determination of the orbit with a revised period of P=511 d and an additional small linear trend, indicative of another companion in a wide orbit. Moreover we show that the star exhibits low amplitude, solar like oscillations with frequencies around 3-4 d$^{-1}$ (34.7-46.3 $\mu$Hz).

Edasich should like this one...

It seems that Iot Dra b is a bit heftier than thought, m sin i ~10.3 M_jup

Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Evidence for 2nd planet at Iota Draconis   Evidence for 2nd planet at Iota Draconis EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 6:13 am

Sirius_Alpha wrote:
This seems to be a result of the different mass used for Iota Draconis itself... this paper uses 1.4 solar masses, while previously a lower mass of 1.05 solar masses was used.
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2276
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Evidence for 2nd planet at Iota Draconis   Evidence for 2nd planet at Iota Draconis EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 11:26 am

I was sure I had to host another planet around... myself ... *LOL* Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: Evidence for 2nd planet at Iota Draconis   Evidence for 2nd planet at Iota Draconis EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 8:29 pm

Lazarus wrote:
Sirius_Alpha wrote:
This seems to be a result of the different mass used for Iota Draconis itself... this paper uses 1.4 solar masses, while previously a lower mass of 1.05 solar masses was used.

Indeed, and according to this paper, the mass of Iot Dra may actually be a little over 2 solar masses, but these results are preliminary. If so, I think that may be enough to tip Iot Dra b over the 13 Jupiter-mass limit.

Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: Evidence for 2nd planet at Iota Draconis   Evidence for 2nd planet at Iota Draconis EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 8:42 pm

And we have confirmation of the second substellar object!

Asteroseismology of iota Draconis and Discovery of an Additional Long-Period Companion
https://arxiv.org/abs/2107.13583

Quote :
...We present the results of continued radial velocity monitoring of the star using the Automated Planet Finder over several orbits of the planet. We provide more precise planet parameters of the known planet and, through the combination of our radial velocity measurements with Hipparcos and Gaia astrometry, we discover an additional long-period companion with an orbital period of ~68+60−36 years. Mass predictions from our analysis place this sub-stellar companion on the border of the planet and brown dwarf regimes. The bright nature of the star combined with the revised orbital architecture of the system provides an opportunity to study planetary orbital dynamics that evolve as the star moves into the giant phase of its evolution.

They give us astrometric orbits for both planets!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Evidence for 2nd planet at Iota Draconis   Evidence for 2nd planet at Iota Draconis Empty

Back to top Go down

Evidence for 2nd planet at Iota Draconis
Page 1 of 1