Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Six new HARPS planets (all Jovian)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4319
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Six new HARPS planets (all Jovian) Empty
PostSubject: Six new HARPS planets (all Jovian)   Six new HARPS planets (all Jovian) Empty27th October 2008, 8:09 pm

The HARPS search for southern extra-solar planets XVII. Six long-period giant planets around BD -17 0063, HD 20868, HD 73267, HD 131664, HD 145377, HD 153950
http://arxiv.org/abs/0810.4662

Abstract wrote:
We report the discovery of six new substellar companions of main-sequence stars, detected through multiple Doppler measurements with the instrument HARPS installed on the ESO 3.6m telescope, La Silla, Chile. These extrasolar planets are orbiting the stars BD -17 0063, HD 20868, HD 73267, HD 131664, HD 145377, HD 153950. The orbital characteristics which best fit the observed data are depicted in this paper, as well as the stellar and planetary parameters. Masses of the companions range from 2 to 18 Jupiter masses, and periods range from 100 to 2000 days. The observational data are carefully analysed for activity-induced effects and we conclude on the reliability of the observed radial-velocity variations as of exoplanetary origin. Of particular interest is the very massive planet (or brown-dwarf companion) around the metal-rich HD 131664 with M2sini= 18.15 MJup, and a 5.34-year orbital period. These new discoveries reinforces the observed statistical properties of the exoplanet sample as known so far.

Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Six new HARPS planets (all Jovian)   Six new HARPS planets (all Jovian) Empty28th October 2008, 1:46 pm

Yay! More eccentric planets. Hints of a 2-planet system for HD 145377 as well.
Back to top Go down
Darkness nova
Asteroid
Asteroid

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Six new HARPS planets (all Jovian)   Six new HARPS planets (all Jovian) Empty28th October 2008, 5:53 pm

Ohh more southern planets. There also rather near sols metallicy which is interesting...

Although now whenever I hear about eccentric gaints I'm always thinking "what if there two smaller ones in resonance?"
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4319
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Six new HARPS planets (all Jovian)   Six new HARPS planets (all Jovian) Empty28th October 2008, 8:02 pm

Darkness nova wrote:
Although now whenever I hear about eccentric gaints I'm always thinking "what if there two smaller ones in resonance?"

Yeah me too...

I wonder how wide-spread that is? I wonder the opposite of that, how many of these eccentric planets are really eccentric?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Six new HARPS planets (all Jovian)   Six new HARPS planets (all Jovian) Empty

Back to top Go down

Six new HARPS planets (all Jovian)
Page 1 of 1