Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

NameExoWorlds

Go down 
+5
Edasich
Led_Zep
Sunchaser
ThinkerX
Lazarus
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty9th July 2014, 5:11 pm

SpaceRef: NameExoWorlds - An IAU Worldwide Contest to Name Exoplanets and Their Host Stars

The website and the list of exoplanets is at http://nameexoworlds.org/

Yes, Gliese 581 d is on the list... wonder how that one will work out Wink
Back to top Go down
ThinkerX
Rock
Rock

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-02-22

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty9th July 2014, 8:39 pm

Ok...does this site qualify as a 'public organization'? (One that can propose names?)

And does anybody here plan to vote?
Back to top Go down
Sunchaser
Planetesimal
Planetesimal
Sunchaser

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-12-23

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty10th July 2014, 7:20 am

It appears to be legit...On the plus side, it can get more people involved. On the other, a lot of ignorance can be revealed...

-M-

(It wouldn't hurt credibility to ditch Gliese 581d, however.)
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty10th July 2014, 4:09 pm

Gliese 581 provides an excellent example of why it is probably premature to start naming these things. I actually prefer the designations, they convey the utter remoteness and the lack of knowledge we have about these objects far better than a name could.

It's like Mt Everest (Qomolangma, etc.) vs K2. The latter is a far more challenging and remote peak, and for that reason the impersonal surveyor's mark seems quite appropriate. Likewise with planets: the ones we see in our solar system are far more familiar and ultimately much more accessible than even the nearest exoplanets.
Back to top Go down
Sunchaser
Planetesimal
Planetesimal
Sunchaser

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty14th July 2014, 9:52 am

That is a valid point...one I hadn't really thought of. However, if there's any way to shorten some of the really long designations, that would be ok w. me!

-M-
Back to top Go down
Led_Zep
SuperJovian
SuperJovian
Led_Zep

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2011-09-09

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty13th January 2015, 8:54 pm

I'm not agree with that... I think we must keep actual désignations !

http://spaceref.com/astronomy/nameexoworlds-contest-opens.html
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2263
Registration date : 2008-06-02

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty16th August 2015, 12:13 pm

Page has moved to another URL. Candidate names for 20 exoplanetary systems have been published and submitted for voting (deadline October 31 2015). What do you think about the names proposed?

http://nameexoworlds.iau.org/exoworldsvote

Among the names proposed I've seen a massive contribution from Japan. According to me 47 Ursae Majoris, Epsilon Eridani, Upsilon Andromedae and Rho1 Cancri systems have received the worst proposals ever  No . Same for 51 Pegasi b, but wasn't it already christened "Bellerophon" which fitted perfectly? Why another name?
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty16th August 2015, 2:50 pm

The quality of the naming suggestions is roughly what I would have expected for this kind of effort, after the obviously rude ones were filtered. Exoplanets don't need names right now.
Back to top Go down
Sunchaser
Planetesimal
Planetesimal
Sunchaser

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty16th August 2015, 5:30 pm

After look at what was available for 51 Peg...I rescind my previous comment....maybe the general public needs to be kept out!

-M-

PS I still prefer Bellerophon. They should keep it.
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty17th August 2015, 5:33 am

I'm also surprised (or should I say upset) to see absolutely no criterion in naming choices according to constellation and planet properties. There is an overload of common and contemporary names and a few historical, mythological ones whereas IAU used to give priority to notable, classical historical names excluding those of persons, characters and places unless of historical interest and it is clearly not the case (I've also seen names from a 2012 sci-fi novel...). pale

I also notice a poor knowledge of individual systems, notable nearby stars included. To say, Epsilon Eridani system's host star had already and Arabic-derived name which is Sadira (meaning "the ostriches", I think), so why giving another name and one having nothing to share with Eridanus, the mythical river? Classical Mythology provides a bunch of mythological, legendary rivers or river-gods (i.e. Lethe, Eunoe, Acheron, Maeander, Alpheus, Arethusa, Hydaspes...) but none has proposed any. Unbelievable.

The only systems with somehow fitting enough proposals seemed to me Gamma Cephei and one or two in Fomalhaut and PSR B1257+12 system, just excluding... the "Moomins", "Rockandroll, Rockie , Andie, Rollie" or endangered African animals No. What have all of them to do with a neutron star? Moreover wasn't Fomalhaut b a blurry and highly uncertain exoplanet candidate though discovered through imaging? If it turns out to be disproved what doing with names proposed or adopted? Will they recycle them in case of another planet candidate discovery in same system? Rolling Eyes

And what have to do Cervantes and Don Quixote with Mu Arae a star in the Altar? They could perhaps fit with Perseus, Hercules, Centaurus or other kind of hero or knight. The fact the star has been discovered by an astonomer of Portuguese/Iberian origin is not enough. Names related to altars, shrine or Hebrew/Caananite/Assyrian/Babylonian etc. mythology or tradition fit better and history has plenty of names to provide.

Wasn't IAU known to be so rigorous in naming criterion for planetary features and satellites? If so I don't get why mascot name proposals from simple schools have been accepted for voting? Are we just kidding? Question
Back to top Go down
Daniel
SuperEarth
SuperEarth
Daniel

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2009-11-14

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty17th August 2015, 5:35 am

Names exoplanets it's such ridiculous idea,I just hope that scientist don't take this names seriously,sometimes I think that IAU turn to be a not funny joking,like the way they classify the objects and now with this exoplanet name thing,that by the way exoplanets are not planets by IAU because they don't go around Sun,so many gross errors and now this stupid exoplanet name thing.

What next? Name the Future GAIA exoplanet finds that gonna rise to tens of thousands exoplanet? And next name the possible trillions of planets of the Milk Way alone?

This exoplanets already have they names,they names are they number in the star catalog or they coordinates in the sky follow by a low case letter,this is a serious job and the exoplanets have names already,they identification.

Last edited by Daniel on 18th August 2015, 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Led_Zep
SuperJovian
SuperJovian
Led_Zep

Number of posts : 721

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty17th August 2015, 3:58 pm

+1 with Daniel !
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty17th August 2015, 5:33 pm

I'm reminded of the introduction to the Tom Lehrer classic, Clementine...
Quote :
I should like to consider the folk song, and expound briefly on a theory I have held for some time, to the effect that the reason most folk songs are so atrocious is that they were written by the people.

[/snark]
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4319
Registration date : 2008-04-06

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty18th August 2015, 3:58 pm

Pollux b is also there, which is pretty dubious as well.

pochimax
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo
pochimax

Number of posts : 89

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty25th August 2015, 8:45 am

Edasich wrote:

Among the names proposed I've seen a massive contribution from Japan. According to me 47 Ursae Majoris, Epsilon Eridani, Upsilon Andromedae and Rho1 Cancri systems have received the worst proposals ever  No

Hello,

long time ago from here... good to see forum still working

In our spanish forum we have proposed to name 47 UMa as phoenician god "Baal", and its known planets "Tanit" and "Melkart", also from the same mythology.

We think are very beautiful names and probably the best proposal (for that star). I know the majority here don' t want to (re)name stars and exoplanets but i give you the link, just in case...

http://nameexoworlds.iau.org/systems/113

NameExoWorlds 4csYaV

NameExoWorlds 5fLdAn

Last edited by pochimax on 26th August 2015, 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4319
Registration date : 2008-04-06

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty25th August 2015, 11:46 am

Have you considered a name for the third planet at 47 UMa?

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty25th August 2015, 12:46 pm

pochimax wrote:
Edasich wrote:

Among the names proposed I've seen a massive contribution from Japan. According to me 47 Ursae Majoris, Epsilon Eridani, Upsilon Andromedae and Rho1 Cancri systems have received the worst proposals ever  No

Hello,

long time ago from here... good to see forum still working

In our spanish forum we have proposed to name 47 UMa as phoenician god "Baal", and its known planets "Tanit" and "Melkart", also from the same mythology.

We think are very beautiful names and probably the best proposal (for that star). I know the majority here don' t want to (re)name stars and exoplanets but i give you the link, just in case...

http://nameexoworlds.iau.org/systems/113

NameExoWorlds 4csYaV

NameExoWorlds OEx7br

Interesting but not really fitting with Ursa Major (better for Taurus, the bull was bound to Sumerian, Assyrian, Babylonian culture). Accounting the relative close distance to Sun, names related to Classical Mythology and hunt were preferable.

Quote :
Have you considered a name for the third planet at 47 UMa?

I would have proposed Apollo for the star (Solar god), Artemis for innermost planet (47 UMa c, goddess of woods and hunt), Bendis for middle one (47 UMa b, Thracian goddess of hunt) and Hecate to outermost planet (47 UMa d, night goddess, alluding to outer orbit).
Back to top Go down
pochimax
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo
pochimax

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty25th August 2015, 1:05 pm

In our method the idea was to name planets according to its age, taking into account a timeline of cultures and civilizations made by ourselves ( so something not objective i' m afraid).

you can also consider constellatios.

The problem is we have only one posibility, because of the contest rules and finally decided to be more importante (to us) the age factor than the constellation one...

There are a lot of proposed ways to name planets, this justo one more. Problem is with contest IAU method the names will not have any coherence. At the end there is also a public vote, so the names must have some kind of interest (for the public to vote the name).

The IAU only put into voting two of the three planets, so we don' t have yet a name for the third planet. Obviously it would have another phoenician god name.

This was the original proposal to IAU, in english
http://foros.astroseti.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6067#p20458

Last edited by pochimax on 27th August 2015, 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pochimax
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo
pochimax

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty27th August 2015, 2:20 am

Maybe the Baal star is just not fun any longer, for us, after destruction of Baal temple in Sirya.

I think Baal star could be just an example of science, reason, and tolerance, against fanatics. Could you help us?

https://twitter.com/ralvar314/status/636610146383360001
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty27th August 2015, 4:37 am

pochimax wrote:
Maybe the Baal star is just not fun any longer, for us, after destruction of Baal temple in Sirya.

I think Baal star could be just an example of science, reason, and tolerance, against fanatics. Could you help us?

https://twitter.com/ralvar314/status/636610146383360001

I certainly agree but I think Baal and other Levantine gods were more suitable for another constellation closer to Middle East mythology (say, Taurus, Serpens...). However, if it can help, I've voted "Palmyra" for Gamma Cephei Ab and "Baal" too for 47 UMa since the somehow most suitable naming proposals amongst the others suggested. May the millenial historical roots of our civilization ascend to heavens then, against the brutal violence of fanatic destroyers who, being not able to create anything good and useful for self and the others, suppose to subdue and erase other civilizations and the traces for their ancient glorious past.
Back to top Go down
pochimax
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo
pochimax

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty27th August 2015, 5:41 am

I have voted for Palmyra planet, also.
Many thanks.

since the star belongs to Ursa Majoris... Is there a possibility of 47 UMa being visible every night of the year on the sky over Palmyra ruins? I don' t use celestia and don' t know for sure. Probably not, because 40 deg declination, isn' t it? Could somebody here help me in this question?

it could be very poetic if this happens and Baal is selected as name of 47 UMa.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty15th December 2015, 5:06 am

Results for 20 extrasolar planet systems:

http://nameexoworlds.iau.org/names

The most awful names ever have been approved. By a quick browsing 51 Pegasi and 47 Ursae Majoris seem having the worst sounding and least fitting names.
Back to top Go down
pochimax
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo
pochimax

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty15th December 2015, 10:12 am

From private e-mail to participants

"The committee appreciate all of your efforts in putting these proposals and we find a lot of high quality ones but unfortunately we have have limited objects to be named. I encourage you to resubmit again for the next contest."

Maybe they aren' t happy, as well.
Back to top Go down
Sedna
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-08-21

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty15th December 2015, 3:18 pm

A better idea for next time would be to apply the same system as the one used for naming the moons of Pluto.
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty21st December 2015, 5:18 pm

Greg Laughlin's take on the IAU names is here. I am still in agreement with the K2 (the mountain, not the space mission) comparison. (Turns out that's where I got my earlier post from, thought I'd remembered that from somewhere)

The prediction at Metaculus, "Will the IAU-sanctioned Exoplanet Names come into regular use?" currently stands at 10% from 15 predictions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NameExoWorlds Empty
PostSubject: Re: NameExoWorlds   NameExoWorlds Empty

Back to top Go down

NameExoWorlds
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Extrasolar Visions II :: Extrasolar Visions :: Extrasolar News and Discoveries-
Jump to: