Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts Empty
PostSubject: New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts   New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts Empty6th August 2014, 8:57 pm

Binary frequency of planet-host stars at wide separations: A new brown dwarf companion to a planet-host star
http://arxiv.org/abs/1408.1208

Last edited by Sirius_Alpha on 6th August 2014, 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated thread title)
Back to top Go down
https://solar-flux.forumotion.com/
Shellface
Neptune-Mass
Neptune-Mass

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts   New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts Empty6th August 2014, 9:15 pm

You're kinda very blatantly missing the other discoveries, y'know. Update that title!

In other news…
Quote :
We note that only one system, not included in the plots shown by Mugrauer et al. (2007a), has a short period (<40 days) and an eccentricity higher than 0.05, the possible planet "e" around 55 Cnc A (Wisdom 2005) which remains to be confirmed.
…I seem to have developed an urge to punch something.
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts   New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts Empty6th August 2014, 9:27 pm

Good point, I misread the abstract before reading through the paper.
Quote :
In other news…
Well, it has a pretty short period. I wonder if we can confirm it with a transit search?  Wink 

Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts   New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts Empty7th August 2014, 1:06 pm

Tried to read this as charitably as possible by assuming they meant the eccentricity value is not concerned, but no, they cite Wisdom 2005, call the planet "possible" and in any case the orbital fits since the transit detection generally come out with very low eccentricity values.

I was also interested to see HD 217107 listed as a ~10 AU binary. There IS in fact a listing in the WDS for such a companion, but as noted by Desidera & Barbieri (2007), no evidence was found for this in the planet searches, and would be dynamically inconsistent with the existence of the outer planet. From what I can tell, the arguments given there against the identification of the purported binary companion with the outer RV planet candidate (i.e. the possibility that it is a near-face-on binary) are still applicable to the Wright et al. (2009) orbital solution, at least the given periastron time happens close to the latest WDS observation.
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts   New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts Empty7th August 2014, 4:13 pm

Also, technically only the brown dwarf is new: the wide companion to HD 126614 and the binarity of HD 213240 were already known.
Back to top Go down
Shellface
Neptune-Mass
Neptune-Mass

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts   New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts Empty8th August 2014, 10:06 am

There are a good few new wide companion candidates, is just that they're so wide that the writers aren't sure if they're physically bound. Given the unlikelihood of similar proper motions, I'd say a fair few of those have some level of relationship.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts   New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts Empty

Back to top Go down

New Stellar Companions to Exoplanet Hosts
Page 1 of 1