Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

NuclearVacuum's work

Go down 
+4
Edasich
Lazarus
Sirius_Alpha
NuclearVacuum
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-07-05

NuclearVacuum's work Empty
PostSubject: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty26th November 2008, 1:25 pm

NuclearVacuum wrote:
alien Here is some of my planetary work alien

NuclearVacuum's work Chrono15

Iota Horologii b
If anybody remembers me from my time on EVI, then you will know that I was a big fan of the "Sulfur Giant" planet from John's work. So obviously, I would be a hipictate if I didn't make the prototype planet of this class (Iota Horologii b/HR 810 b) look like one. I have given the planet the name Chronos (father time), and a set of Saturn rings.

NuclearVacuum's work Ymir210

Horizon of Gliese 581 c
I was into other things when the announcement of Gliese 581 c came out. But when I finally heard about it, I was shocked. It reminded me of the Star Trek planet "Terra Nova" (New Earth) and planet "Aurelia" from Extraterrestrials. In my view, planet Ymir would have an atmosphere roughly similar to the Earth, is quite hot and muggy, stormy, and heavy. Because the night side always faces away from the red dwarf star, a polar cap covers the night.

NuclearVacuum's work Legba10

Planet of HD 98800
Now this system really interests me. Not one, not two, but four suns (that would be quite a site). Anyway, here is a terrestrial planet orbiting HD 98800 B (the top two stars), with system A shown in the distance (the bottom two stars).
Back to top Go down
http://nuclearvacuum.wikia.com
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty26th November 2008, 1:41 pm

NuclearVacuum's work Saturn11

Saturn Plus

Fomalhaut b was confirmed!? That sure shocked me. Especially considering that it is likely that the planet contains a ring system much better than Saturns.

NuclearVacuum's work Ammoni10

Ammonia Planet

A month ago, I asked what color would an ammonia planet be (I never got the answer I was hopping for). So I did some thinking and came across something that should be accurate. The primary elements of the universe are oxygen (water), nitrogen (ammonia), and carbon (methane). If Saturn is (somewhat) a methane gas giant, and Titan is a methane planet with lakes, then you reverse it. Though not exactly, they are roughly the same color (yellowish-orange).

The same goes for Water gas giants. Most depict them as greyish-blue balls (the same as the Earth). So in short, Jupiter's ammonia clouds are brownish-red... TADA!!! Ammonia planets are rusty red in color.

NuclearVacuum's work Rouge10

Rogue Planet

Shouldn't rogue planet be cold and frozen? Well, according to scientists, some may be habitable. Internal heat may cause a greenhouse affect of the planet, making it hot enough to have pockets of habitability. What a site, totally night sky all over.

Last edited by NuclearVacuum on 26th November 2008, 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4319
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty26th November 2008, 1:59 pm

For your Gliese 581 c image, are you able to get Mie rendering on your computer with Celestia? That might make the atmosphere look much more realistic, as opposed to being an outline of the planet.

If I remember correctly, pressing Ctrl + v will cycle through rendering options.

Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty26th November 2008, 2:04 pm

Now go away and write 10,000 lines of "I will never use the French word for red when I mean 'ROGUE' ever again"

In handwriting.

No copypasting.
Back to top Go down
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty26th November 2008, 2:05 pm

Sirius_Alpha wrote:
For your Gliese 581 c image, are you able to get Mie rendering on your computer with Celestia? That might make the atmosphere look much more realistic, as opposed to being an outline of the planet.

If I remember correctly, pressing Ctrl + v will cycle through rendering options.

Hm... I have never heard of anything like that. So I would say, it doesn't have that anymore.
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2267
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty26th November 2008, 2:08 pm

Lazarus wrote:
Now go away and write 10,000 lines of "I will never use the French word for red when I mean 'ROGUE' ever again"

In handwriting.

No copypasting.

lol!

It seems you've used Celestia software and I notice some fine results.
Once so did I toy with Celestia and I would like to re-start but I'm quite swamped by University. study

However I could post a topic about a refreshed new artwork.

Sooner or later. geek
Back to top Go down
marasama
SuperEarth
SuperEarth
marasama

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty26th November 2008, 4:47 pm

Don't forget, Jupiter owes some of its color to Ammonium hydrosulfide. Ammonium hydrosulfide appears as yellow-orange, coupled with white from water ice, methane ice. Hydrogen Sulfide is colorless, but the ice can also make white.

And, Ammonia is colorless, but the ice will again, make white.

They are still not 100% sure what the red is and I don't know what the brown color is coming from. Hope this helps outs.

And, Jupiter does not really have any haze like Saturn.

Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty26th November 2008, 5:48 pm

NuclearVacuum wrote:
Hm... I have never heard of anything like that. So I would say, it doesn't have that anymore.
Here's some images of Earth both without, and with, mie.

Also, what version of Celestia are you running?

NuclearVacuum's work Earth_far_without_mie
NuclearVacuum's work Earth_far_with_mie
NuclearVacuum's work Earth_close_without_mie
NuclearVacuum's work Earth_close_with_mie

NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Look familiar?   NuclearVacuum's work Empty9th December 2008, 6:50 pm

NuclearVacuum's work Alcaeus2kb6.th

I have no idea why (maybe because it interests me), but I got around to doing the texture map of Upsilon Andromeda b (I gave it the name Alcaeus). It looks pretty damn close to what John did. And this gives me a question: why would this planet (according to John's image) have a pure blue atmosphere? Does silicate and sodium have something to do with it? I am bad with chemistry, so humor me.
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty9th December 2008, 6:57 pm

Well, I can surely answer you about the yellow spot on the dayside of Ups And b: it's bound to peculiar heat transfer of the planet. About the blue glowing around planet's limb, yes, likely due to sodium and silicate ionization.
I suppose. I'm not so fond of physics at all Laughing
Back to top Go down
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty9th December 2008, 7:27 pm

Edasich wrote:
I suppose. I'm not so fond of physics at all Laughing

Neither am I Razz
Back to top Go down
marasama
SuperEarth
SuperEarth
marasama

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty10th December 2008, 1:47 am

Something to do with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering

Usually the limbs of the planet will be blue or blue shade.

NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty30th May 2009, 10:21 am

I felt like posting my two recent planetary works. Hope you enjoy them.

NuclearVacuum's work Chronosringsn.th

The rings of Iota Horologii b
I still like to think of all jovian planets in the inner habitable zone having sulfur stains in their atmosphere. Iota Horologii b (my favorite planet) is no exception. I also like to think of the planet having a set of Saturn-like rings (since the system is thought ti be young)l.

NuclearVacuum's work Erosandcupid.th

HD 28185 b and Moon
Since HD 28185 b is in the center of its sun's habitable zone, orbits in a highly low eccentric orbit, and has a mass much bigger than Jupiter, this planet is amazing. With a huge mass, it could sustain a moon more massive than Mars, making it much more likely to have life in the system.

Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty30th May 2009, 10:49 am

About HD 28185's moon, someone on the Oklo blog wrote.
Quote :

A back-of-the-excel calculation using the Gonzalez and Laws (2008) numbers tells me that the HD28185 system should be dryer than bone. The solar composition has enough O such that you can have all the metals oxidized, all the carbon oxidized to CO, and still have O left over to combine with H to form water. Using the numbers from the arxiv version of the above paper, the high metals, high carbon, but solar oxygen means that with all the metals less electronegative than H oxidized, you don’t have enough O left over to oxidize all the C to CO. So instead of a solar-type nebula buffered by H2-CO-H2O, you are in H2-CO-CH4 space. No water, no steam, no ice. And condensation above the CH4 decomposition temperature might even give you a hybrid silicate-carbon planet. caveat: this is simple late-night stochiometric calc, not a proper thermodynamic fractionation run. caveat 2: I normalized their values to Asplund et al. 2004’s solar values. Since Asplund paper isn’t referenced by Gonzalez and laws, they may be normalizing their stellar metal values to a different solar composition, in which case my numbers will be wrong.

NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty30th May 2009, 1:56 pm

Sirius_Alpha wrote:
About HD 28185's moon, someone on the Oklo blog wrote.
Quote :

A back-of-the-excel calculation using the Gonzalez and Laws (2008) numbers tells me that the HD28185 system should be dryer than bone. The solar composition has enough O such that you can have all the metals oxidized, all the carbon oxidized to CO, and still have O left over to combine with H to form water. Using the numbers from the arxiv version of the above paper, the high metals, high carbon, but solar oxygen means that with all the metals less electronegative than H oxidized, you don’t have enough O left over to oxidize all the C to CO. So instead of a solar-type nebula buffered by H2-CO-H2O, you are in H2-CO-CH4 space. No water, no steam, no ice. And condensation above the CH4 decomposition temperature might even give you a hybrid silicate-carbon planet. caveat: this is simple late-night stochiometric calc, not a proper thermodynamic fractionation run. caveat 2: I normalized their values to Asplund et al. 2004’s solar values. Since Asplund paper isn’t referenced by Gonzalez and laws, they may be normalizing their stellar metal values to a different solar composition, in which case my numbers will be wrong.

... affraid

I have never heard about this study. But at least it is not it's not confirmed, so there is still hope that a water moon can be around the system. But still, that is really hard to think about. I have been brainwashed into thinking that HD 28185 b is the holy grail of jovian planets, and when we get there... "It's only a model." (MONTY PYTHON ROCKS!!!)

Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty30th May 2009, 2:29 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but I made a little exoplanet art of my own.

HR 8799

NuclearVacuum's work VIS_IR_Blend
Blend of IR and Visible light images of HR 8799 to produce a pretty (unrealistic) picture.
Impossibly unrealistic, but sensationalist enough for Space.com to use if they want, haha.

NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty30th May 2009, 10:39 pm

PIRATE!!!!

No seriously, that is some picture. I find it very interesting that we found these planets at all.

NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty31st May 2009, 10:03 am

Ever since I heard about a "rust water" planet, I got so many ideas. Here is my idea of a rust water planet.

NuclearVacuum's work Lenin.th

Fresh water and Rust water
This is one of the moons of Iota Horologii b (the moon is named Lenin). It is about the same size of Mars, orbits its planet in safe outer orbit like Titan, and has similar conditions to Earth. The only difference is that its oceans of water are not lased with sodium and chlorine (making the salty waters of Earth), but instead mixed with iron, making the water rusty. This gives the moon a reddish-brown tint in its oceans.

NuclearVacuum's work Lenin2.th

Here is another one I did, but with a look at Iota Horologii b in the background.

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty31st May 2009, 11:07 am

It's my impression, but it seems the host star reflecting on planet's (moon?) surface being a red (dwarf-giant) star.
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty31st May 2009, 11:50 am

I'd imagine that receiving slightly more energy from its star than Venus does from our Sun would have some nasty effects on those oceans...
Back to top Go down
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty31st May 2009, 11:28 pm

I assumed that the oceans would give a brownish glow to the oceans (being rusty). But if I am wrong...

NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty15th July 2009, 10:14 pm

Thank you Edasich, now I have to compete with you! pirat

16 Cygni Bb and a sunset

NuclearVacuum's work Leda16cygni

Here is my version of 16 Cygni Bb (which is actually a variant of John's). Here we see the planet from one of its arid moons. Star 16 Cyg A is setting in the atmosphere.

KABOOM!!!!

NuclearVacuum's work Collidingplanetscopy

I am a sucker for close binaries. Anyway, here is my version of a collision of two planets in the BD +20°307 system.

Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty16th July 2009, 8:44 am

Shocked I'll bet the more massive of those planets will get a moon Cool (yeah... yeah... I know.... it takes a shallow angle impact).

I would compete with you guys as well but my Graphics card doesn't seem to be to be supported by my system anymore, so Celestia doesn't look all pretty to me. Crying or Very sad

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty16th July 2009, 9:21 am

Quote :
Thank you Edasich, now I have to compete with you!

Hehehe! A challenger appears. Twisted Evil *lol*

Seriously, really amazing pictures. Maybe adding "mie" tag in the ssc files, they could look yet more realistic.

And 16 Cyg B's atmosphere looks a bit "granular" but the picture is great anyway Wink
Back to top Go down
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty16th July 2009, 8:07 pm

Thank you Edasich. I am still new with Celestia, but I am not new to art. So I try to make my pics Celestia screen shots look like a real artist's impression. Sorry I monologed myself.

Anyway (since I have all your attentions), I wanted to get your thoughts on this idea I had. My favorite star is Vega, so you can understand that I would try to make a planetary system around it. When it comes to a water planet, I was thinking about this article I read recently (here). If plants are dark and non-reflective around M-dwarf stars, than the exact opposite should be for A-dwarfs. Plants that are bright and reflect most of the visible light (to the point that they can tolerate).

NuclearVacuum's work Vegasearth

On this planet orbiting Vega, you would the star would reflect off the continents (as well as the oceans). Any life on the planet (if any) would be extremely different from Earth life. alien

Last edited by NuclearVacuum on 16th July 2009, 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : another statement)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work Empty

Back to top Go down

NuclearVacuum's work
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next