Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

NuclearVacuum's work

Go down 
+4
Edasich
Lazarus
Sirius_Alpha
NuclearVacuum
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-07-05

NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty21st October 2009, 11:52 am

I really got it wrong. CRAP! *slaps forehead* Sorry, but I didn't think of radiation in that way.

Edasich wrote:
Edasich wins! *lol* NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Icon_twisted NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Icon_razz

... silent I will destroy you now! NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Icon_razz

NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty21st October 2009, 4:18 pm

But can you blame me? I saw the artist's impression on the planet and they made it blue. You can see it does look like a water world, with oceans, continents, and a blue sky. It did look like a new habitable planet was discovered.

http://www.eso.org/gallery/v/ESOPIA/Illustrations/phot-39a-09-fullres.tif.html

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2276
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty21st October 2009, 4:22 pm

That is much worse. Shame on him!! NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Icon_twisted NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Icon_tongue *LOL*
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty21st October 2009, 4:52 pm

Leaves open the question of just what a 6 Earth mass planet in such an orbit would look like. Not a bare rock I don't think.

If it's a rocky planet, you'd probably have significant outgassing from volcanic activity, so you would have an atmosphere. A more "icy" composition would also be possible, giving a thick water-rich atmosphere.

The artist's impression isn't too bad actually - rocky surface (I don't see any oceans there), fade to blue due to Rayleigh scattering in the atmosphere...
Back to top Go down
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty21st October 2009, 4:52 pm

Also because it was announced as big news!

Anyway, I plan on redoing my version of Gliese 667 Cb. Even though it's no longer a water planet, I still find it quite interesting. I still think it could be an ocean world, but an ocean of what.

NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty24th October 2009, 10:23 pm

NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Cerberusqz

OK now. Tell me if this seems any more plausible. Correction, just tell me its beautiful. Razz

I have been thinking about it for days now, if the planet is hotter, than it must be somewhat like Venus or Mercury. Since the planet is much more massive than those planets, than the possibility for an ocean world gets more likely. However, I think the planet is much too cool to have oceans of molten lava, so what type of ocean could be here (if any). I kept going back to the clouds of Venus, which are made of sulfuric acid. What if the planet is at a point in time where it has cooled enough not to have a global greenhouse, and the sulfuric acid clouds began to rain down on the planet.

So another acid planet. I don't know why, acid just seems very interesting to have as an ocean. Not that I would want to visit such a place, it just makes me think.

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty25th October 2009, 5:26 am

Interesting. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sedna
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty25th October 2009, 10:29 am

I don't want to throw a stone in the pond but I don't think that the planet has oceans. After doing some calculations, I have 31 % of chance for having oceans. Plus, looking at the semi-major axis, the planet could be tidally locked, which could give more extreme conditions.
But since EPE does not provide the parameters of the star, I had to calculate them myself. Maybe I made a mistake on that side. What have you got for these parameters ?

Bye

Sedna
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty25th October 2009, 10:57 am

Sedna wrote:
I don't want to throw a stone in the pond but I don't think that the planet has oceans. After doing some calculations, I have 31 % of chance for having oceans. Plus, looking at the semi-major axis, the planet could be tidally locked, which could give more extreme conditions.
But since EPE does not provide the parameters of the star, I had to calculate them myself. Maybe I made a mistake on that side. What have you got for these parameters ?

Bye

Sedna

Enter GJ 433 at NsTED database. There you should have back likely enough parameters for the star

http://nsted.ipac.caltech.edu/

It gives:

Quote :
Distance (pc) = 9.04
Spectral Type = M1.5
Luminosity (L_solar) = 0.033
Mass (Solar masses) = 0.49
Radius (Solar Radii) = 0.48

However, yes, I agree with Sedna. The planet should be more likely a hot-house world rather a hot-ocean world. NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Sedna
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty27th October 2009, 6:42 am

This time, I didn't use NstED, I don't know why. With these parameters, I get 28.7 % of chance for having oceans...
Apart from that, I'm gonna do the same thing with the other systems.

Bye

Sedna
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4319
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty27th October 2009, 8:08 am

Sedna wrote:
After doing some calculations, I have 31 % of chance for having oceans.
How is that calculated?

Sedna
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty27th October 2009, 10:28 am

Sirius_Alpha wrote:
How is that calculated?

Assuming that oceans need a temperature between 273 K and 373 K, I calculated the possible min and max temperatures for that planet (153 K and 501 K). And then, with 100 / (501-153), I got 28.7 % (31 % was the result from the "wrong" parameters I calculated myself).

Bye

Sedna
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty28th October 2009, 8:43 am

The temperature at which oceans will stay liquid also depends on the pressure of the atmosphere, water boils below 373 K at pressures less than Earth's atmosphere at sea level (like at the top of a mountain, or on Mars, despite the terribly low temperature). Also, the abundance of volatiles would need to be considered. If a planet has zero water, then it will have no water oceans regardless of its temperature or atmosphere. Another thing to consider is that the oceans may be made of different things than water. Without actually doing the math, I'm guessing that Titan would have a 0% chance of hosting an ocean based on your model, yet it has seas for sure.

How was your minimum and maximum temperature calculated? And can it describe Venus?

Sedna
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty29th October 2009, 9:41 am

Sirius_Alpha wrote:
The temperature at which oceans will stay liquid also depends on the pressure of the atmosphere, water boils below 373 K at pressures less than Earth's atmosphere at sea level (like at the top of a mountain, or on Mars, despite the terribly low temperature). Also, the abundance of volatiles would need to be considered. If a planet has zero water, then it will have no water oceans regardless of its temperature or atmosphere. Another thing to consider is that the oceans may be made of different things than water. Without actually doing the math, I'm guessing that Titan would have a 0% chance of hosting an ocean based on your model, yet it has seas for sure.

How was your minimum and maximum temperature calculated? And can it describe Venus?

I know that the study of the possibilities for having oceans is more complex than that. I cannot take the pressure, the composition of the atmosphere and such other things now (I will do that in the future). Plus, I study the possibilities for having water oceans for water-based life.

To calculate min and max temperatures, I use this formula: T = (L(1-A))/(16*pi*sigma*D^2) assuming an albedo between 0.001 and 0.999, where L is the luminosity of the star, A is the albedo, sigma is equal to 5.67x10^-8 and D is the semi-major axis in meters.

Venus is a curious case because of its atmosphere...

Bye

Sedna
Back to top Go down
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty5th November 2009, 11:06 am

If I say that this planet has oceans, than I am right and you are all wrong.

No really, I suck at calculations so I make guesses. I guess I made a big mistake. I am only human after all.

NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Merope

Here is something different, and I think it came out very, very nicely. Gliese 667 Cb and the two additional suns in the system. The planet doe not have any type of ocean, but is active.

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty5th November 2009, 12:15 pm

Nice texture, though I see no clouds in the atmosphere.

But background binary looks weird, there's something square occulting one of them NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sedna
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty6th November 2009, 3:24 pm

Are you sure there's no clouds ? I don't think so, plus it looks like there's a kind of small dust storms.
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty6th November 2009, 3:32 pm

I'd expect more clouds, because more massive than Earth =P
Back to top Go down
Sedna
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty6th November 2009, 3:51 pm

Yes, but clouds of what ?
Back to top Go down
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty7th November 2009, 12:16 am

There are clouds on the planet. I had no idea that the more massive, the more clouds? How can that be?

Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty7th November 2009, 1:18 am

When the planet is forming, it attracts an atmosphere. The more massive the planet, the more of a gaseous envelope it can gravitationally bind to its surface. So a more massive planet can have a thicker atmosphere. Thicker atmospheres can support denser cloud cover.

But I don't see why a super Earth can't have a cloudless sky, assuming the chemistry and temperature conditions are right.

NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty17th January 2010, 12:53 am

NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Dazbog2010

I recently did total remodeling of my planet, Dazbog. I love how it all turned out.

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty17th January 2010, 5:43 am

Good textures. Only seas show a bit a "metallic" shine
Back to top Go down
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty19th January 2010, 12:08 pm

Here are some more planets I have been recently working on.

NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Electra

Here is a fictional moon of Upsilon Andromedae d. The moon is a Mars-sized ice ball. Only a small area around the equator is ice free, but that region is no different than Siberia. Most of the life on this moon are subterranean creatures. In the background is the giant planet of Upsilon Andromedae d.

NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Izanamiprime

Here is a fictional moon of 55 Cancri f (in the background). The moon is about the size of Titan, and just like Titan, it has an atmosphere and oceans. Roughly 85% of the moon is covered in water. Most of the life is marine.

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty19th January 2010, 5:00 pm

Nice textures, but I find the first moon a bit few realistic in colors, whereas the former one looks way much too "edenic" to orbit around 55 Cancri f that swings between 0.6 and 0.8 AUs (if HZ is roughly 0.8 AUs). Maybe more arid appearance could fit with.

These are just my impressions Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NuclearVacuum's work   NuclearVacuum's work - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

NuclearVacuum's work
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next