Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Minimum amount of light for plants to grow

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Diakonov
Asteroid
Asteroid

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Minimum amount of light for plants to grow Empty
PostSubject: Minimum amount of light for plants to grow   Minimum amount of light for plants to grow Empty9th February 2021, 1:41 pm

Hi, i'd like to know the maximum distance plants could grow in our solar system. For exemple, it is possible for plants to grow in a colony built on Ganymede or Rhea? I know that Saturn receives about 1% the light Earth receives from the sun. Is that amount enough to drive photosynthesis? And on the contrary, what is the maximum amount of light plants can withstand? Say, if a plant grew on Mars, due to it's larger distance to the sun, would the color still be green or another color would be best suited?

I imagine that if a plant grew on a habitable Venus with similar atmosphere of Earth it would be bluish because Venus is closer to the sun, so it receives more radiation and more blue light, as i think, might be bad for such plant life and such would prefer absorbing less energy light such as green or even red instead of blue. On the other hand if a plant grew on Mars with a similar atmosphere that of Earth, it would be reddish because less light reach Mars compared to Earth and Venus, so it would need to absorb even more blue and green light. Is that correct? I mean, does the distance of a planet from it's star influence in the color of plants, not only the spectrum of the star?

Oh, by the way, just another matter... I'm creating a planetary system for my own book. The system orbits a M3V star with about 25% sun mass, that is in the limit of becoming a red giant or not in the future. One of the planets orbit at around 0,075 AU. It has an atmosphere denser than Earth's, with 6 air pressure. Such planet also has 4 moons, 3 small near the planet and another farther away but still somewhat distant from the hill sphere limit. The vegetation of this planet is between yellow and green, a very dark one, but not black since that vegetation is also capable of using near infrared to produce oxygen and it's not chlorophyll.

The thing is... that planet would be tidal-locked to it's star or not? Because i've read that planets closer to it's star but with enough atmosphere and at least a massive moon could avoid being tidal-locked. Eccentricity might do the trick too, in the case of Mercury.
Back to top Go down

Minimum amount of light for plants to grow
Page 1 of 1