Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d? Empty
PostSubject: Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d?   Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d? Empty7th February 2009, 7:37 am

From http://www.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de/~fgp/Conf09/abstractbooklet.pdf - abstract titled "Extrasolar planets in the Gliese 581 system – Model Atmospheres and Implications for Habitability"

The conclusions presented seem to imply that liquid water is possible on Gliese 581c, but Gliese 581d would be too cold to support life, a conclusion which goes against the previous studies of the system.
Back to top Go down
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d?   Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d? Empty7th February 2009, 11:14 am

That is really interesting. But would Gliese 581 c be quenched with water, or (more likely) have pockets of water and be a huge desert planet and or jungle planet?

Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d?   Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d? Empty7th February 2009, 3:06 pm

If Gliese 581 c formed beyond the snow line and migrated inward, it's going to have a lot of water.

Lazarus
dF star
dF star

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d?   Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d? Empty7th February 2009, 4:03 pm

Well I'd like to see the actual results to see the explanation for how Gliese 581c manages to avoid the greenhouse feedback while receiving more energy per unit area than Venus does.
Back to top Go down
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d?   Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d? Empty7th February 2009, 4:31 pm

Sirius_Alpha wrote:
If Gliese 581 c formed beyond the snow line and migrated inward, it's going to have a lot of water.

Really? I thought that it would have only pockets of water (being in the inner hz). How did you come up with that scenario?

Lazarus
dF star
dF star

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d?   Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d? Empty7th February 2009, 4:51 pm

The question is whether there would be enough material to build the various planets of the Gliese 581 system in situ, which seems unlikely. The inner hot Neptune (b) probably formed beyond the snowline and migrated inwards to its current location. So unless the ordering of the planets has changed, planets c and d formed further out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d?   Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d? Empty

Back to top Go down

Good news for Gliese 581c, bad news for d?
Page 1 of 1