Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Habitable planets in the HD 47186 system

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Habitable planets in the HD 47186 system Empty
PostSubject: Habitable planets in the HD 47186 system   Habitable planets in the HD 47186 system Empty24th March 2009, 4:35 pm

Stability of additional planets in and around the habitable zone of the HD 47186 Planetary System

HD 47186 is a non-packed (as far as is currently known) planetary system with a hot Neptune and a Saturn-mass planet in an outer orbit. The inner part of the habitable zone seems to be capable of hosting additional low-mass planets.

In particular...
Quote :
It is possible that the two known planets in HD 47186 may have migrated to their present location. Previous studies (Raymond et al. 2006; Mandell et al. 2007) have shown that migrating giant planets don’t preclude the existence of terrestrial planets. In fact, if the outer planet migrated inward then the most likely place for an extra planet would be just interior to the 2:1 MMR, which lies in the middle of the EHZ. Planets of ∼ 10 M or less are thought to be the largest potentially terrestrial planets with rocky surfaces and thin atmospheres. This provides an effective upper limit for habitability as we know it. Therefore HD 47186 offers the chance to detect a terrestrial planet in the HZ of a nearby, solar-type star.

(EHZ = eccentric habitable zone)
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Habitable planets in the HD 47186 system   Habitable planets in the HD 47186 system Empty24th March 2009, 9:02 pm

I'm not very convinced.

"There might be a planet here. Perhaps we should go look for it." Could be applied anywhere.

Or is there something that I'm missing?

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2296
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Habitable planets in the HD 47186 system   Habitable planets in the HD 47186 system Empty25th March 2009, 5:52 am

If you wish, I can extract vels file for HD 47186 in order to perform a Systemic simulation. In discovery paper no radial velocities were given in text format but only as figure.
Since recently I'm "toying" with radial velocity graphics to get vels files, I could give my contribution.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Habitable planets in the HD 47186 system   Habitable planets in the HD 47186 system Empty

Back to top Go down

Habitable planets in the HD 47186 system
Page 1 of 1