Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Kepler News and Results

Go down 
+34
ExA
Szaniu
PlutonianEmpire
marasama
Sunchaser
Pastro
ExplorerAtHeart
AVBursch
jyril
pochimax
Led_Zep
Petr86
atomic7732
forest
Mongo
tesh90
Roland Borrey
jumpjack
tommi59
Ancalites
Daniel
AlSchmitt
exofever
Edasich
lodp
Stalker
tom
Phill
philw1776
exoplanet
Borislav
Lazarus
TheoA
Sirius_Alpha
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
AuthorMessage
tommi59
Jovian
Jovian
tommi59

Number of posts : 596
Registration date : 2010-07-31

Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty16th March 2013, 5:51 pm

The Markov Chain Monte Carlo analysis of the
RV data yields a mass estimate for the d planet of 9.50+6.23
−8.17M⊕
(Geoff Marcy 2012, private communication
http://authors.library.caltech.edu/36783/1/0004-637X_762_2_129.pdf
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty18th March 2013, 3:16 pm

Another study of the radius distribution of the Kepler planets...

The Radius Distribution of Small Planets Around Cool Stars
http://arxiv.org/abs/1303.3013

For stars with Teff<4000 K, the most common planet size appears to be 1 – 1.5 R. There also appears to be an excess of planets at 2 – 2.5 R, perhaps indicating a population of planets with low-density (H/He) atmospheres.
Back to top Go down
tommi59
Jovian
Jovian
tommi59

Number of posts : 596
Registration date : 2010-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty19th March 2013, 7:34 am

What density is low density?? up to 2.0 g/cm3 ? Intermediate density 2.0-4.0 g/cm3 ? high over 4 ?
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty19th March 2013, 12:50 pm

It's a qualitative description not a quantitative one.
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty3rd April 2013, 9:02 am

Mission Update
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.rss.spacewire.html?pid=43725

Quote :
The wheel rest period of January 17-January 27 appears to have had no beneficial impact on alleviating the elevated friction in reaction wheel #4.
Quote :
At this point, all mitigation steps to preserve wheel life have been implemented, and no additional steps are planned at this time. We will continue to monitor wheel performance and respond accordingly if conditions warrant.

Lazarus
dF star
dF star

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty5th April 2013, 12:54 pm

Back to top Go down
Stalker
Jovian
Jovian
Stalker

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2008-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty7th April 2013, 2:18 am

I have a question.

Is Kepler-37 a cold subdwarf? Look at Groombridge 1830 and μ Cas A, both are sdG type stars, and compare them to Kepler-37:

Groombridge 1830
Mass: 0.661 Ms
Radius: 0.681 Rs
Temperature: 4759 K
Metallicity: -1.33

μ Cas A
Mass: 0.74 Ms
Radius: 0.791 Rs
Temperature: 5332 K
Metallicity: -0.84

Kepler-37
Mass: 0.803 Ms
Radius: 0.770 Rs
Temperature: 5417 K
Metallicity: -0.32

Last edited by Stalker on 8th April 2013, 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://exoplanetes.wetpaint.com/
Shellface
Neptune-Mass
Neptune-Mass

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty7th April 2013, 6:58 pm

In short, no. I believe the upper cutoff for subdwarfs is at between Fe/H -0.6 and -0.7 or so, and a M/H of -0.3 is typical for a field star (particularly a thick disk star).

If you're looking for a better-studied analogue, HD 4208 is similar but a bit hotter:

M: 0.827
Teff (K): 5599 ± 19 K
[Fe/H] (dex): -0.28 ± 0.01 dex

While HD 63765 has a similar effective temperature, but is less metal-poor:

M: 0.828
Teff (K): 5432 ± 19
[Fe/H] (dex): -0.16 ± 0.01

(Data from Sousa et al. 2008)

I'd wager that the discrepancies is due to the stellar models used.
Back to top Go down
Stalker
Jovian
Jovian
Stalker

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty8th April 2013, 1:34 am

Thanks you!

ThinkerX
Rock
Rock

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty8th April 2013, 2:14 am

Worth pointing out here: Fe/H ratings for stars vary widely. In different catalogs I have seen differences of 50% or more for the same star.
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty8th April 2013, 2:13 pm

Isn't subdwarf status more about location on the H-R diagram than the metallicity?

I.e. low metallicity is what causes a star to be a subdwarf, but subdwarf status itself is determined by the low luminosity?
Back to top Go down
Stalker
Jovian
Jovian
Stalker

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty8th April 2013, 3:58 pm

Lazarus wrote:
Isn't subdwarf status more about location on the H-R diagram than the metallicity?

I.e. low metallicity is what causes a star to be a subdwarf, but subdwarf status itself is determined by the low luminosity?

Yes, but Kepler Kepler-37 is (in my eyes) smaller than a normal GV (this is why i compare it to other known subwarves). In the HR diagram, this star would be a little "under" the cuvre of V stars, but may be not enough to be called a subdwarf.

Shellface
Neptune-Mass
Neptune-Mass

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty8th April 2013, 4:32 pm

ThinkerX wrote:
Worth pointing out here: Fe/H ratings for stars vary widely. In different catalogs I have seen differences of 50% or more for the same star.
What catalogues are you looking at? Photometric metallicities tend to be… weird, but spectroscopic metallicities are generally accurate to their errors (generally less than ± 0.05 dex for high S/N spectra). Spectroscopic values earlier than the 90s or so are also generally inaccurate, because most spectrometers… sucked back then.
Back to top Go down
ThinkerX
Rock
Rock

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty8th April 2013, 11:55 pm

Quote :
What catalogues are you looking at? Photometric metallicities tend to be… weird, but spectroscopic metallicities are generally accurate to their errors (generally less than ± 0.05 dex for high S/N spectra). Spectroscopic values earlier than the 90s or so are also generally inaccurate, because most spectrometers… sucked back then

Don't remember all of them right off - this was about six years ago. The Geneva-Copenhagen survey was one. Also Edvardson 'Chemical Evolution of the Galactic Disk', and Strobels 'A Catalog of Fe/H Determinations'. There were at least two others, one brand new at the time (though maddeningly, the names escape me and I can't find the relevant notes). One of these was the averaged results of four or five catalogs - it was one I came to rely on. I do remember, though, that all of them, regardless of how new they were or how accurate they claimed to be often put forth a wide range of Fe/H measurements. Exact matches, or even agreements within the range you cited were rare. Maybe a couple of them did date from the 1990's or a bit earlier.

For what its worth I see this elsewhere as well. Magnitudes, for example, differ from one catalog to another, as do spectral types, proper motions, and even exact positions.

Back to top Go down
Stalker
Jovian
Jovian
Stalker

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty9th April 2013, 2:20 am

Do we know a planet orbiting an actual (not yet evolved) cold subdwarf?

Lazarus
dF star
dF star

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty9th April 2013, 1:20 pm

I don't think there are any known planets around subdwarfs. Maybe HIP 13044 is a "retired" subdwarf?

Also, has the Kepler-37 paper been made available without having to go through the Nature paywall?
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty9th April 2013, 4:07 pm

Lazarus wrote:
Also, has the Kepler-37 paper been made available without having to go through the Nature paywall?
AFAIK: No.

Led_Zep
SuperJovian
SuperJovian
Led_Zep

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty15th April 2013, 4:50 pm

Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty15th April 2013, 7:00 pm

Lazarus wrote:
I don't think there are any known planets around subdwarfs.
KOI-55 comes to mind. And of course circumbinary planetary systems often host subdwarfs.

Lazarus
dF star
dF star

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty16th April 2013, 12:55 am

Yes but those are hot subdwarfs (mainly sdB), unlike the cool subdwarfs we were discussing in regards to Kepler-37.

There are two very different categories of objects termed "subdwarfs": cool subdwarfs which are metal-poor main sequence stars, and hot subdwarfs (sdO/sdB/sdA?) which seem to be the result of enhanced mass loss during the evolution of a giant star.
Back to top Go down
Led_Zep
SuperJovian
SuperJovian
Led_Zep

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty21st April 2013, 6:21 am

I like it :

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/science/space/keplers-tally-of-planets.html?ref=space&_r=0

Surprise : did Kepler-71b annonced ?
(put on « sort by order of discovery », it‘s the last system)
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2297
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty21st April 2013, 10:57 am

Sirius_Alpha wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
KOI-55 comes to mind. And of course circumbinary planetary systems often host subdwarfs.

I also think of V391 Pegasi and recently detected DW Lyncis' substellar companion... Rolling Eyes

Quote :
I like it :

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/science/space/keplers-tally-of-planets.html?ref=space&_r=0

Surprise : did Kepler-71b annonced ?
(put on « sort by order of discovery », it‘s the last system)

Surprise for real. It looks like an inflated hot Jupiter around a G or K dwarf.
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty21st April 2013, 11:11 am

Edasich wrote:
Sirius_Alpha wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

I also think of V391 Pegasi and recently detected DW Lyncis' substellar companion... Rolling Eyes
I'll say this again, sdB/sdO stars (extreme horizontal branch stars) are not related to the low-metallicity main sequence subdwarfs that we were discussing. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2297
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty22nd April 2013, 12:46 pm

Glad to see at least these latest Kepler planets listed at EPE, though there are 27 extrasolar planet candidates left to be listed (notably Kepler-37 b, c &d, HAT-P-42 & 43 b and WASP-71 b).
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty23rd April 2013, 2:02 am

KOI-200b and KOI-889b: two transiting exoplanets detected and characterized with Kepler, SOPHIE and HARPS-N
http://arxiv.org/abs/1304.6002

A couple of jovian-size planets in close-in orbits.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kepler News and Results   Kepler News and Results - Page 38 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kepler News and Results
Page 38 of 39Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39  Next