Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Extrasolar Artwork

Go down 
+3
wanderer
Edasich
Stalker
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Stalker
Jovian
Jovian
Stalker

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty16th June 2008, 3:33 pm

Hi

I sent a message to the webmaster of EV to know how to use Artworks for my website.

But on, he did not answer me.

I come to see you to wonder the way to be followed.

Regarding my website:

My website is in French (link).
The broadcasting of pictures will bring money to nobody (either to me, or to the members).

Thank you
Back to top Go down
http://exoplanetes.wetpaint.com/
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2285
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty16th June 2008, 3:40 pm

I dunno if this may conflict with "Worlds" subforum where Celestia or other stuff can be uploaded there.
Just wait the response and then you see.
Back to top Go down
Stalker
Jovian
Jovian
Stalker

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty16th June 2008, 3:55 pm

I wait for answer for about two months.
I am not pressed but seen that the website is not any more updated for several years I asked questions.
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty16th June 2008, 5:10 pm

Who have you contacted? Sirius_Alpha? He is always here
Back to top Go down
Stalker
Jovian
Jovian
Stalker

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty17th June 2008, 3:49 am

Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty17th June 2008, 4:48 am

Well, it's quite difficult John Whatmough may answer you. He's deceased two or three years ago. You should try contact main administrators like Sirius_Alpha
Back to top Go down
Stalker
Jovian
Jovian
Stalker

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty17th June 2008, 6:00 am

Thanks a lot.

And thank you also to follow up John Whatmough's Project.
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty17th June 2008, 8:39 am

Well, you're welcome. Nevertheless I am not as talented as John was. I just use Celestia scripts and textures to create Extrasolar planet rendering as John M. Dollan and other Celestia users (and forum browsers) do.
Back to top Go down
wanderer
Hydrogen Atom
Hydrogen Atom

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: new artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty17th December 2008, 6:54 am

Hello,

I've recently joined and I'm new to all of this (posting stuff on forums and surfing the web). I'm really fascinated by outer-sapce and other planets and have been since middle-school. I hardly ever use the internet or the computer. Mostly I use the internet for research for school and little else. In fact, these days I only use the computer for typing up essays for schoolwork. I just wanted to say that ever since I stumbled onto the extrasolar visions website from since a decade ago, this is one of the sites I've most visited during my few times on the web. I think this website is really KICK-ASS! The detailed and well visual displays of the info is incredible (so far as to use it as a primary resource for a research paper on a special topic for my planetary science class). What captivated me in the first place (and still does) was the artwork and the displays of the exoplanets in their orbits around their parent stars and where the habitable zones were. I was just wondering, why isn't there any new artwork on the website? Is the new artwork still in progress? There's an old saying that "a picture is worth a thousand words", and I'm not an astronomer or astronomer student. but in my opinion (take it or leave it, which ever you prefer to do) what really gets the message about this kind of stuff across in a way that most people can understand and apprecitate it (when I say most people I mean the average joe who doesen't know much about this stuff) is the visuals because the better something can be portrayed visualy, the more people will it will stir people's imagination and want to know more. This was the case for me, but this is just as suggestion. I personally, I just wanted let the creators of this site know that they did a kick-ass job and want to know why no new artwork. Please reply at your convience.
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty17th December 2008, 9:56 am

Welcome to the site, it's good to have you here
John Whatmough, who is the founder of Extrasolar Visions, is the one who created all of the spectacular artwork that made these exoplanets come alive out of otherwise boring data plots and numbers in a table. His artwork is very inspiring, but indeed, it is no longer being produced.
John Whatmough passed away a few years ago, and as a result, the original Extrasolar Visions website began to decay without maintenance.
Quote :
I sent a message to the webmaster of EV to know how to use Artworks for my website.
I'm sorry, I haven't been paying a whole lot of attention to this subforum, in favor or the news and planetology forums.
I'm not sure about this, honestly. The artwork belongs to John Whatmough, and he's dead and as such is out of reach. His wife hasn't replied to any of the e-mails I have sent, which I can understand.

Last edited by Sirius_Alpha on 17th December 2008, 10:34 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://solar-flux.forumotion.com/
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty17th December 2008, 10:00 am

Well, we thank you for the appreciation and support and welcome on EVII, wanderer. The artwork you have appreciated so far is the magnificient job of John Whatmough. Previous website has been almost totally planned and realized by him and 9/10ths of the compliments surely goes to him.
Unfortunately John Whatmough is not between us since long time but we all here remember him with affection and respect. "May his star shine forever" as Native American use to greet the dead of theirs.

However, about the Extrasolar Planet Artwork, I dunno if there is somebody working on new pictures about exoplanets, planetary landscapes renderings et cetera. By the way you can check the subforum "Worlds" where EVII members use to post their space artwork or other cosmic stuff.

For example the user NuclearVacuum has recently posted his work here:

https://solar-flux.forumotion.com/worlds-f12/nuclearvacuum-s-work-t183.htm

So did I make some planetary artwork, but currently I've removed that from my website, because I'm working on a different project at the moment. But I could re-work on that again in the future.

Yeah, personally I think somebody should try making new pages about Exoplanet host stars and exoplanet alike John W. did, with habitable zones, snapshot of the star (if available), rendering of the orbit and comparation with solar system et cetera.
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty17th December 2008, 10:34 am

Edasich wrote:
Yeah, personally I think somebody should try making new pages about Exoplanet host stars and exoplanet alike John W. did, with habitable zones, snapshot of the star (if available), rendering of the orbit and comparation with solar system et cetera.
I'd love to do something like this.

The EVI forum was a part of another website, i.e. Extrasolar Visions. This is just a forum here. I once had the idea of opening up a new sub-forum for this, which one thread per star system.

Anyone with with more than 20 posts able to moderate it such that they can contribute more efficiently. The 20 post thing is to ensure that people who modify it are those who actually care enough. Last thing we want would be someone coming around with their first post writing about super-advanced alien civilisations discovered on HD 209458 b or something. Laughing

I suppose ideally, artwork for the star system, basic statistics, and perhaps published radial velocity data could be put in there. If anyone makes a new thread for an already-existing system, it can either be merged or deleted, depending on the content within.

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty17th December 2008, 11:41 am

Maybe someone should open a website remaking original one and add as forum the current EVII. How about? Smile
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty17th December 2008, 1:09 pm

Not a bad idea.

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty17th December 2008, 4:03 pm

I could help finding references for stellar parameters. I would specially give my contribution to build "Unconfirmed Objects" session. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty17th December 2008, 10:02 pm

It's certainly an interesting idea. The system-specific threads could serve also as information repositories.

Let's keep developing the idea before putting up a thread to take it to a vote. Threads could have the system name as their title i.e. HW Virginis, or HD 189733, etc. And the threads can be sorted in alphabetical order to make it easier to find a specific system.

I would also like to hear what others think. Lazarus? NuclearVacuum? Marasama? etc.

marasama
SuperEarth
SuperEarth
marasama

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty17th December 2008, 11:48 pm

Could. My current focus at the moment is trying to learn C#.NET. I plan on using this to make a new database with objects I read from the ~200s AJ papers so far.

I could use the artwork help, though.

Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty28th December 2008, 1:11 pm

I've been considering doing a full replacement of EV1 for a while now, and doing it properly (i.e. referencing the data, semantic markup and definitely no sulfur giants)... not sure whether I'll ever have time to get everything set up though.
Back to top Go down
Phill
Meteor
Meteor
Phill

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-07-31

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty13th January 2010, 12:41 pm

Good examples of extrasolar artist impressions: Lynette Cook
http://extrasolar.spaceart.org/space.html
Extrasolar Artwork Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
http://mars-literature.skynetblogs.be/
Sponsored content

Extrasolar Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extrasolar Artwork   Extrasolar Artwork Empty

Back to top Go down

Extrasolar Artwork
Page 1 of 1