Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2291
Registration date : 2008-06-02

First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31? Empty
PostSubject: First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31?   First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31? Empty16th June 2009, 4:24 pm

Quite blurry kind of detection, but possible hint of a substellar companion orbiting a star in another galaxy cyclops *emphasis mine*

http://exoplanet.eu/star.php?st=PA-99-N2

Listed in EPE amongst unconfirmed objects.

Paper here:

The anomaly in the candidate microlensing event PA-99-N2

Quote :
ABSTRACT. The light curve of PA-99-N2, one of the recently announced microlensing candidates toward M31, shows small deviations from the standard Paczyński form. We explore a number of possible explanations, including correlations with the seeing, the parallax effect, and a binary lens. We find that the observations are consistent with an unresolved red giant branch or asymptotic giant branch star in M31 being microlensed by a binary lens. We find that the best-fit binary lens mass ratio is ~1.2 × 10-2, which is one of the most extreme values found for a binary lens so far. If both the source and lens lie in the M31 disk, then the standard M31 model predicts the probable mass range of the system to be 0.02-3.6 Mso (95% confidence limit). In this scenario, the mass of the secondary component is therefore likely to be below the hydrogen-burning limit. On the other hand, if a compact halo object in M31 is lensing a disk or spheroid source, then the total lens mass is likely to lie between 0.09 and 32 Mso, which is consistent with the primary being a stellar remnant and the secondary being a low-mass star or brown dwarf. The optical depth (or, alternatively, the differential rate) along the line of sight toward the event indicates that a halo lens is more likely than a stellar lens, provided that dark compact objects comprise no less than 15% (or 5%) of halos.

We could even merge discussion in Unconfirmed Planets Thread
Back to top Go down
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-07-05

PostSubject: Re: First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31?   First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31? Empty17th June 2009, 1:19 pm

ZOMG!! And I was told that nobody could ever discover a plant outside the Milky Way (shame on them). alien

Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31?   First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31? Empty17th June 2009, 1:23 pm

Shame indeed.

Still though, this candidate is still unconfirmed. To confirm it, we would need for it to undergo another microlensing event. Microlensing events are notoriously a one-time only event for a single object. For another event to occur, it could take a very, very long time.

I think it's safe to say that PA-99-N2 b will keep the same "unconfirmed" status as that other extragalactic planet, Q 0957+561 b. The original extrasolar visions site has a page on it here. May even be safe to go so far as to say that you might as well forget about PA-99-N2 b. I fully expect that if it is ever detected again, it will be with radial velocity of the host star, some point in the distant future with perhaps a crater-sized lunar telescope.

But that's no excuse not to throw the planet into Celestia with fictional information about the orbit and play around with speculations Razz

NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-07-05

PostSubject: Re: First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31?   First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31? Empty17th June 2009, 1:27 pm

Still... It cosmic to think of planets in our big sister galaxy. It makes you think, are there any Andromedans out there that look at the huge bared galaxy that we live in and say "I wonder if there is life there?"

Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31?   First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31? Empty20th June 2009, 7:39 pm

The Q0957+561 detection was not of a single planet but implied many planets in the lens galaxy (YGKOW G1, not the quasar). Secondly it was not of a single object, but the implication of a large population of ~10-5 solar mass objects (paper is here) and implies that the bulk of the dark matter in the galaxy is composed of rogue planets. This seems somewhat suspicious.
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31?   First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31? Empty20th June 2009, 8:41 pm

Oooo.... I was not aware of that. Thanks for that paper!
If rogue planets can explain the dark matter in YGKOW G1, why would this not be detected in other lensing galaxies?

Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31?   First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31? Empty21st June 2009, 10:33 am

As far as I am able to tell, a similar thing was proposed for the Einstein Cross lensing system. Not sure it has stood up to scrutiny though, but it's someone else's turn to trawl SIMBAD... Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31?   First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31? Empty

Back to top Go down

First Planet detected in Andromeda Galaxy M31?
Page 1 of 1