Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Transiting planets in NGC 6253?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2288
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Transiting planets in NGC 6253? Empty
PostSubject: Transiting planets in NGC 6253?   Transiting planets in NGC 6253? Empty22nd April 2010, 3:01 am

VLT multi-epoch radial velocity survey toward NGC 6253. Analysis of three transiting planetary candidates

Quote :
We measured the radial velocity of 139 stars in the region of NGC 6253, discussing cluster's membership and binarity in this sample, complementing our analysis with photometric, proper motion, and radial velocity data available from previous studies of this cluster, and analyzing three planetary transiting candidates we found in the field of NGC 6253. Spectra were obtained with the UVES and GIRAFFE spectrographs at the VLT, during three epochs in August 2008. The mean radial velocity of the cluster is -29.11+/-0.85 km/s. Using both radial velocities and proper motions we found 35 cluster's members, among which 12 are likely cluster's close binary systems. One star may have a sub-stellar companion, requiring a more intensive follow-up. Our results are in good agreement with past radial velocity and photometric measurements. Furthermore, using our photometry, astrometry and spectroscopy we identified a new sub-giant branch eclipsing binary system, member of the cluster. The cluster's close binary frequency at 29% +/- 9% (34% +/-10% once including long period binaries), appears higher than the field binary frequency equal to (22% +/- 5%, though these estimates are still consistent within the uncertainties. Among the three transiting planetary candidates the brightest one (V=15.26) is worth to be more intensively investigated with higher percision spectroscopy. We discussed the possibility to detect sub-stellar companions (brown dwarfs and planets) with the radial velocity technique (both with UVES/GIRAFFE and HARPS) around turn-off stars of old open clusters [abridged].
Back to top Go down
Dnoces
Micrometeorite
Micrometeorite
Dnoces

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Transiting planets in NGC 6253?   Transiting planets in NGC 6253? Empty22nd April 2010, 10:04 am

Interesting, very interesting, I'm sure they've talked about stuff like this in Andomeda but--wait they're talking about an open cluster, oh. It would have been so much cooler if it was a galaxy no one'd ever heard of. I suppose this is no diffferent than that one in the Hyades, unless NGC 6253 is special of something.
Edit: Wikpedia gives me nothing, so I guess the cluster is of no significance, for the time being anyway.
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2288
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Transiting planets in NGC 6253?   Transiting planets in NGC 6253? Empty22nd April 2010, 2:05 pm

Several searches for transiting planets in open clusters have been carried out, but so far no confirmed planets.

I notice the paper talks about 3 transiting candidates, whereas actually there would be two, since 3rd is ruled out (2.5 Jupiter radii is far away from being even a very "bloated" planet).
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Transiting planets in NGC 6253?   Transiting planets in NGC 6253? Empty23rd April 2010, 5:47 pm

I'm wondering whether Kepler will find any transiting planets in one of the open clusters that are in its field of view.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transiting planets in NGC 6253?   Transiting planets in NGC 6253? Empty

Back to top Go down

Transiting planets in NGC 6253?
Page 1 of 1