Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

POTS-1 b - Transiting hot Jupiter around I = 16.1 mag star.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

POTS-1 b - Transiting hot Jupiter around I = 16.1 mag star. Empty
PostSubject: POTS-1 b - Transiting hot Jupiter around I = 16.1 mag star.   POTS-1 b - Transiting hot Jupiter around I = 16.1 mag star. Empty1st September 2013, 8:27 pm

A hot Jupiter transiting a mid-K dwarf found in the pre-OmegaCam Transit Survey
http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.6574

Quote :
We describe the pre-OmegaTranS project, a deep survey for transiting extra-solar planets in the Carina region of the Galactic Disk. In 2006-2008 we observed a single dense stellar field with a very high cadence of ~2min using the ESO Wide Field Imager at the La Silla Observatory. Using the Astronomical Wide-field System for Europe and the Munich Difference Imaging Analysis pipeline, a module that has been developed for this project, we created the light curves of 16000 stars with more than 4000 data points which we searched for periodic transit signals using a box-fitting least-squares detection algorithm. All light curves are publicly available. In the course of the pre-OmegaTranS project we identified two planet candidates - POTS-1b and POTS-C2b - which we present in this work. With extensive follow-up observations we were able to confirm one of them, POTS-1b, a hot Jupiter transiting a mid-K dwarf. The planet has a mass of 2.31+-0.77M_Jup and a radius of 0.94+-0.04R_Jup and a period of P=3.16d. The host star POTS-1 has a radius of 0.59+-0.02R_Sun and a mass of 0.70+-0.05M_Sun. Due to its low apparent brightness of I=16.1mag the follow-up and confirmation of POTS-1b was particularly challenging and costly.

Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: POTS-1 b - Transiting hot Jupiter around I = 16.1 mag star.   POTS-1 b - Transiting hot Jupiter around I = 16.1 mag star. Empty3rd September 2013, 2:38 am

Now on the EPE, and with an orbital period of ~50 millenia, it smashes the record as the longest period transiting planet.
http://exoplanet.eu/catalog/pots-1_b/

Shellface
Neptune-Mass
Neptune-Mass

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: POTS-1 b - Transiting hot Jupiter around I = 16.1 mag star.   POTS-1 b - Transiting hot Jupiter around I = 16.1 mag star. Empty3rd September 2013, 3:33 am

"Psh, a couple of years? Step aside Kepler, 'cause POTS' gonna come smashing in…"

18th magnitude, huh? So, as bright as a microlensing event? Ah, the powers of ridiculously precise photometry. And then being extraordinarily difficult to follow up with spectroscopy.
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2289
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: POTS-1 b - Transiting hot Jupiter around I = 16.1 mag star.   POTS-1 b - Transiting hot Jupiter around I = 16.1 mag star. Empty3rd September 2013, 9:34 am

First transiting planet in Musca field and another dense, hot Jupiter with (relatively) small radius like WASP-10. They seem to be common around mid to late-K dwarfs.

We can remove it from Unconfirmed/Unpublished thead's list. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: POTS-1 b - Transiting hot Jupiter around I = 16.1 mag star.   POTS-1 b - Transiting hot Jupiter around I = 16.1 mag star. Empty3rd September 2013, 1:54 pm

Sirius_Alpha wrote:
Now on the EPE, and with an orbital period of ~50 millenia, it smashes the record as the longest period transiting planet.
http://exoplanet.eu/catalog/pots-1_b/
Not to mention the unusually low mass of the system - the total system mass is about the same as the mass of the asteroid (243) Ida. Since the sum of the given masses is clearly far higher than this, the system must contain a substantial source of negative mass, which has implications for the feasibility of certain types of theoretical space drives.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POTS-1 b - Transiting hot Jupiter around I = 16.1 mag star.   POTS-1 b - Transiting hot Jupiter around I = 16.1 mag star. Empty

Back to top Go down

POTS-1 b - Transiting hot Jupiter around I = 16.1 mag star.
Page 1 of 1