Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Tidal heating for planetary engineering

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lunarfour
Hydrogen Atom
Hydrogen Atom

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-02-15

Tidal heating for planetary engineering Empty
PostSubject: Tidal heating for planetary engineering   Tidal heating for planetary engineering Empty15th February 2017, 12:36 pm

So I know there is a lot in terms of math when it comes to tidal heating, but i wanted to know if there is a way to calculate it in a simple or layman's way. Specifically I was looking at the Jovian moons Io, Europa and Callisto which are well known to be heated internally by tidal forces. I used that as inspiration for my writing about future engineering where a civilization changes the orbits of planetary bodies and moons to make more habitable worlds. I don't want to just leave it being that simple, I wanted it to be realistic to know if there is a way to calculate what kind of orbit would be needed for this effect.

For europa i was trying to see if how it's orbit would need to be changed to become volcanically active enough to become an ocean world with above freezing temperatures.
Back to top Go down
tommi59
Jovian
Jovian
tommi59

Number of posts : 596
Registration date : 2010-07-31

Tidal heating for planetary engineering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tidal heating for planetary engineering   Tidal heating for planetary engineering Empty15th February 2017, 1:25 pm

You meant Ganimedes not Callisto the latter is too far for any tidal heating.It is very unlikely that even Io could reach temperature above freezing point of water being so close to Gas giant
Back to top Go down

Tidal heating for planetary engineering
Page 1 of 1