Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Brown dwarfs at HD 91669 and GJ 1046

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2292
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Brown dwarfs at HD 91669 and GJ 1046 Empty
PostSubject: Brown dwarfs at HD 91669 and GJ 1046   Brown dwarfs at HD 91669 and GJ 1046 Empty17th June 2021, 5:26 am

Excuse me... had we reported this brown dwarf around HD 91669 before?

HD 91669b: A New Brown Dwarf Candidate from the McDonald Observatory Planet Search

Quote :
We report the detection of a candidate brown dwarf orbiting the metal-rich K dwarf HD 91669, based on radial-velocity data from the McDonald Observatory Planet Search. HD 91669b is a substellar object in an eccentric orbit (e=0.45) at a separation of 1.2 AU. The minimum mass of 30.6 Jupiter masses places this object firmly within the brown dwarf desert for inclinations i>23 degrees. This is the second rare close-in brown dwarf candidate discovered by the McDonald planet search program.

Probably not because back in 2009 it was not regarded as exoplanet/substellar companion sensu lato. As you like, the topic may be merged with "Unconfirmed/Unpublished Planet" thread.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure that GJ 1046 (2008) had been reported previously but original topic cannot be retrieved.

A probable close brown dwarf companion to GJ 1046 (M 2.5V)

Quote :
Context. Brown dwarf companions to stars at separations of a few AU or less are rare objects, and none have been found so far around early-type M dwarfs (M 0V-M 5V). With GJ 1046 (M 2.5V), a strong candidate for such a system with a separation of  is presented.

Aims. We aim at constraining the mass of the companion in order to decide whether it is a brown dwarf or a low-mass star.

Methods. We employed precision RV measurements to determine the orbital parameters and the minimum companion mass. We then derived an upper limit to the companion mass from the lack of disturbances of the RV measurements by a secondary spectrum. An even tighter upper limit is subsequently established by combining the RV-derived orbital parameters with the recent new version of the Hipparcos Intermediate Astrometric Data.

Results. For the mass of the companion, we derive  from the RV data. Based on the RV data alone, the probability that the companion exceeds the stellar mass threshold is just . The absence of effects from the secondary spectrum lets us constrain the companion mass to . The combination of RV and Hipparcos data yields a  upper mass limit to the companion mass of  with a formal optimum value at . From the combination of RV and astrometric data, the chance probability that the companion is a star is .

Conclusions. We have found a low-mass, close companion to an early-type M dwarf. While the most likely interpretation of this object is that it is a brown dwarf, a low-mass stellar companion is not fully excluded.

I don't remember whether it actually turned out as a low-mass star. Reffert & Quirrenbach (2011) assumed this to be possible, but is there another paper confirming this? Because the most recent one I've found (Trifonov et al. 2018) still regards it as "brown dwarf candidate".
Back to top Go down

Brown dwarfs at HD 91669 and GJ 1046
Page 1 of 1