Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?

Go down 
+5
Edasich
marasama
Lazarus
NuclearVacuum
Sirius_Alpha
9 posters

Which will be first to detect an ~Earth-mass planet?
CoRoT (Photometry)
Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Vote_lcap7%Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
HARPS (Doppler Spectroscopy)
Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Vote_lcap20%Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Vote_rcap
 20% [ 3 ]
Keck (Doppler Spectroscopy / Photometry)
Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Vote_lcap7%Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
Kepler (Photometry)
Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Vote_lcap47%Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Vote_rcap
 47% [ 7 ]
OGLE (Gravitational Lensing/Photometry)
 7% [ 1 ]
TrES / WASP / XO / HATnet (Photometry)
Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Vote_lcap0%Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Other.
Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Vote_lcap12%Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Vote_rcap
 12% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty
PostSubject: Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?   Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty22nd December 2008, 1:19 am

Not a lot going on, so I decided to ask what everyone thought about what would be the first group to detect an Earth-mass planet.
Transiting/non-transiting, habitable/hellish, doesn't matter. Just as long as it's mass is ~ 1 M_earth.

Edit: With the announcement of Gliese 581 e, I think I should refine "~ 1 M_earth" to be any planet whose mass is between 0.9 M_earth to 1.1 M_earth, as stated in a post after this.

Last edited by Sirius_Alpha on 22nd April 2009, 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://solar-flux.forumotion.com/
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?   Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty22nd December 2008, 10:36 am

THE RUSSIANS!!!!!!!!!!

Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?   Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty22nd December 2008, 1:28 pm

Does this count?
Quote :
Thus, our discovery of MOA-2007-BLG-192Lb represents the first discovery of an extrasolar planet with a planetary mass ratio orbiting an extremely low-mass primary that is likely to be a brown dwarf, and with a mass of m = 3.3+4.9−1.6 M (or a 2-σ range of 1.0–18 M)
Sure, the 1 Earth mass case lies at the end of the 2-σ range, but you never know...
Back to top Go down
marasama
SuperEarth
SuperEarth
marasama

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?   Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty22nd December 2008, 2:14 pm

I voted for OGLE, and MOA-2007-BLG-192Lb helps support my thought.

Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?   Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty22nd December 2008, 3:27 pm

Haha, I suppose I should have been more accurate. Razz 1 M_earth as in "We're pretty dang confident it's ~1 +/- 0.1 M_earth". I don't quite understand standard deviation enough to phrase it in that context haha.

An interesting note that CoRoT currently has no votes.

NuclearVacuum wrote:
THE RUSSIANS!!!!!!!!!!
Do I smell a space race about to start? Razz Laughing

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2291
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?   Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty22nd December 2008, 5:16 pm

NuclearVacuum wrote:
THE RUSSIANS!!!!!!!!!!

And why not ITALIANS???? Razz
Back to top Go down
ciceron
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?   Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty31st March 2009, 5:21 pm

I voted for Kepler , but ... Spaniards got a chance from ground observations too Wink
Back to top Go down
http://el-francotirador-mvv.blogspot.com/
gremlin66
Micrometeorite
Micrometeorite

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?   Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty20th April 2009, 3:19 am

so that planet orbiting MOA-2007-BLG-192Lb; any hints on whether or not it's a terrestrial or gas planet? Smile i like the potential in a 3-5 earth mass planet
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?   Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty20th April 2009, 8:51 am

The planet is most likely a terrestrial planet.

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2291
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?   Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty20th April 2009, 9:51 am

But do not expect to find there the little green men. With a brown dwarf host the habitable zone is certainly tight (<<0.1 AUs) so it should be as cold as Uranus or Saturn.
Back to top Go down
AVBursch
Meteor
Meteor

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?   Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty1st May 2009, 8:58 am

Who would be the first to detect an Earth-mass extrasolar planet? As far as methods go, I would say Doppler method.

Earth-mass extrasolar planets are already detectable with today's technology. Maybe not around stars like the Sun, but definitely doable around red dwarfs.

Consider Gliese 581e. The mass (or more precisely, the value of m sin i) is 1.9 Mearth. The star, Gliese 581, has a mass of 324 Mjup. Extrapolating from that point, an Earth-mass exoplanet would be detectable, with today's technology and using the doppler method, around a 170 Mjup star in a 0.03 AU orbit. Finding an Earth-mass exoplanet orbiting a star with a mass of 80 Mjup with the doppler method would be trivial with today's technology.
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?   Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty1st May 2009, 11:59 am

Once you get in the mass ranges you're talking about, the stellar host is a brown dwarf and is very dim. There is a problem getting radial velocity data from the star with a sufficiently high signal to noise ratio.

Dnoces
Micrometeorite
Micrometeorite
Dnoces

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?   Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty1st May 2009, 5:36 pm

I voted CoRoT, I guess because it's had the most luck as far as stuff not around red dwarfs.
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?   Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty17th October 2012, 3:27 pm

Resurrecting this for you-know-why. Wait until true mass is determined or does m sin i suffice?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?   Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who will be first to detect Earth-mass planet?
Page 1 of 1