Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Simulated Life

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gremlin66
Micrometeorite
Micrometeorite

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Simulated Life Empty
PostSubject: Simulated Life   Simulated Life Empty20th April 2009, 6:33 pm

Now I know this is probably not necessarily appropriate for this forum, but it's an interesting idea I've been considering for some time now, and I thought it'd be nice to share with people and get some feedback. Let me know if it's just too off the wall for this board. Very Happy

Now the idea hinges on the development of advanced artificial intelligences (AAI) which could be said to be as smart as a human being, able to deal with abstract concepts, able to adapt to changing environments, circumstances, etc. Now instead of having this A.I run military hardware or putting it into a robot body to serve our every whim, hence producing a Terminator, or I, Robot scenario (where the machines revolt against their human masters) we place the AAI, several million of them in fact, into a simulated environment.

This simulated environment could be anything we so choose it to be. We could even create our own laws of physics in this universe, we could specify a variety of environmental conditions on the world they exist on, temperatures, orbits, etc. And then we watch how these simulated people behave. Now it would be much like a very large game of The Sims, except that the Sims would actually be capable of developing their own technologies and culture, reproducing, and developing ideas on philosophy, science, art, mathematics, etc.

Now my question is what specifically would they come up with, and how would it differ from our own society, given the differences in the specifics of their world? they would have no concept of our existence outside their universe, as the simulated world we've created for them is convincing enough that they believe it. In effect it's like The Matrix, but in reverse. They would be bound to the physical constraints of the 'Sim' and simply worry about their own survival on a day to day basis. Perhaps we could run this simulation in fast time, so that we could watch their evolution over a period of years instead of millenia.

at least while we're waiting to discover life on other worlds and imagine what form it may take, we could at least create our own and watch it's evolution? Thoughts at all?
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Simulated Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simulated Life   Simulated Life Empty20th April 2009, 8:20 pm

Moved to the "Extrasolar Life" forum.

gremlin66 wrote:
This simulated environment could be anything we so choose it to be. We could even create our own laws of physics in this universe,

If I'm not mistaken, there's not a lot of room in our current laws of physics to allow for changes that won't completely ruin everything else. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by Sirius_Alpha on 21st April 2009, 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://solar-flux.forumotion.com/
gremlin66
Micrometeorite
Micrometeorite

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Simulated Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simulated Life   Simulated Life Empty21st April 2009, 5:34 pm

no thoughts on the rest of my post at all?
maybe the laws of physics part was a little off the wall and unrealistic. However I still believe it would be important to the experiment if we altered the Sim's reality enough that their outlook were dramatically altered as compared to our own.

p.s. it's gremlin66, not Gramlin66! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Simulated Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simulated Life   Simulated Life Empty21st April 2009, 5:41 pm

gremlin66 wrote:
p.s. it's gremlin66, not Gramlin66! Very Happy

Ah, I apologize, mistyped it. Embarassed (fixed it above)

Your post is interesting, but a bit broad vague. I'm not sure there's been much work with simulating life (in a computer at least).

marasama
SuperEarth
SuperEarth
marasama

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Simulated Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simulated Life   Simulated Life Empty25th May 2009, 1:08 am

They already do that at some universities.

Some even maid a simple object that replicates itself.
Then they change the environment. Then the object will replicate many types. And the one that survives moves on. Hence artificial evolution.

So the answer, yes, it is being done as we speak (write/read).

Sponsored content

Simulated Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simulated Life   Simulated Life Empty

Back to top Go down

Simulated Life
Page 1 of 1