Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Planet classes that should not exist (but can)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
marasama
SuperEarth
SuperEarth
marasama

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Planet classes that should not exist (but can) Empty
PostSubject: Planet classes that should not exist (but can)   Planet classes that should not exist (but can) Empty16th June 2009, 8:19 pm

Back on the planet types. Like the types that should not be possible.
Examples are Chlorine-rich atmosphere or even fluoride-rich atmosphere.

So, what if they do exist? These chemicals are likely to combine with other chemicals, thus preventing free fluoride or chlorine in the atmosphere. But, the same could be said for oxygen.
That's right, maybe these planets exist with these atmosphere, cause primitive life did it the same as freeing the oxygen in Earth's atmosphere.

Anyhow, I was wanting to know what types of atmospheric chemicals we can come up with that should, technically, not form naturally.
The idea was from the thought that Earth may actually be a carbon-rich atmosphere Earth.
Cause, it is assumed that microbes freed up the oxygen. And also, the large deposit of oil (and other hydrocarbons) that if burned, would be enough to make a significant amount in the atmosphere to be considered carbon-rich atmosphere.
I can not find the hypothesis on this, but I remember reading it from somewhere.

Atmospheric Types that are likely caused by microbes:
0) Oxygen-rich? As in dioxygen, ozone, and free oxygen.
1) Chlorine-rich, on a planet that is before the snow-line.
2) Fluorine-rich.
3) Sulfur-rich gas species? (can someone verify this. Large amounts of sulfur in the atmosphere of a non-volcanic active world)
4) Hydrogensulfide-rich as a gas? (considering that the boiling point is at -60.28 °C (212.87 K), wiki)
5) Methane-rich on hot worlds? (considering that methane is destroyed by sunlight, a planet rich with it in a closer orbit)
#) Rarer gas that are dominant on other worlds?

Last edited by marasama on 17th June 2009, 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4319
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Planet classes that should not exist (but can)   Planet classes that should not exist (but can) Empty17th June 2009, 9:23 am

Pure oxygen atmospheres are found in the outer three Galilean moons. Their source is the photodissociation of water ice via sunlight.

NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Planet classes that should not exist (but can)   Planet classes that should not exist (but can) Empty17th June 2009, 1:25 pm

It's a big universe. Its smart to keep an open mind I love you

marasama
SuperEarth
SuperEarth
marasama

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Planet classes that should not exist (but can)   Planet classes that should not exist (but can) Empty17th June 2009, 10:28 pm

Then, I guess an oxygen-rich atmosphere on cold words?

Also, I was mistaken, it was a carbon-rich atmosphere. Not a carbon-planet Earth.

Baltazar
Meteor
Meteor
Baltazar

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Planet classes that should not exist (but can)   Planet classes that should not exist (but can) Empty8th January 2011, 2:44 pm

What about phosphorus-rich atmosphere?

Maybe a mix, nitrogen/phosphorus atmosphere?
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4319
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Planet classes that should not exist (but can)   Planet classes that should not exist (but can) Empty8th January 2011, 3:23 pm

For a permanent atmosphere, wouldn't phosphorus settle out and fall to the surface?

In the Solar System, Mercury has some potassium in its atmosphere, but it's generated by sputtering. I believe the nitrogen would escape. Earth's Moon has similarly heavy elements in its atmosphere, formed the same way IIRC.

Is there a way a massive terrestrial body with a permanent atmosphere can get heavy elements in the air?

Edit: Evaporation.
Melting point 44.2° C (317.25 K), boiling point 280° C (553.15 K)
Uncomfortably hot planets might have phosphorus in its atmosphere.

Baltazar
Meteor
Meteor
Baltazar

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Planet classes that should not exist (but can)   Planet classes that should not exist (but can) Empty8th January 2011, 3:56 pm

Sirius_Alpha wrote:
For a permanent atmosphere, wouldn't phosphorus settle out and fall to the surface?

In the Solar System, Mercury has some potassium in its atmosphere, but it's generated by sputtering. I believe the nitrogen would escape. Earth's Moon has similarly heavy elements in its atmosphere, formed the same way IIRC.

Is there a way a massive terrestrial body with a permanent atmosphere can get heavy elements in the air?

Edit: Evaporation.
Melting point 44.2° C (317.25 K), boiling point 280° C (553.15 K)
Uncomfortably hot planets might have phosphorus in its atmosphere.

Well, I'm not that good in chemistry. I just gave it as an idea that the original poster might add to his list of planetary atmospheres.

I just based that on a fictional world that I created where the native life is nitrogen/phosphorus based. And the same elements being present in the atmosphere, accompanied with larger amounts of oxygen.

if there is another gas in the atmosphere, maybe CO2, I think it would keep the nitrogen? Again, not sure cuz I'm not that good in chemistry lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planet classes that should not exist (but can)   Planet classes that should not exist (but can) Empty

Back to top Go down

Planet classes that should not exist (but can)
Page 1 of 1