Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Planet spin-axis via RM effect?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Planet spin-axis via RM effect? Empty
PostSubject: Planet spin-axis via RM effect?   Planet spin-axis via RM effect? Empty28th July 2009, 10:36 am

The thought just hit me...

Assuming a sufficiently precise telescope, and a sufficiently quiet star, couldn't the Rossiter-McLaughlin effect be used in reverse? Shouldn't we be able to detect the alignment between the planet's spin axis and its orbit? I'm thinking something like a transiting hot Neptune orbiting a quiet M dwarf or something. I would expect that with the planet in a synchronous orbit, and thus rotating slowly, there probably wouldn't be a large signal (not to mention the stellar RV more than dominating the curve anyway).

In the secondary transit, there should be a dip up or down, depending on the spin axis (and assuming it is perpendicular to the orbit plane) between first contact and second contact, and then a mirror of that dip between third and fourth contact.

Any thoughts? (other than, of course, "good luck detecting that.")
It would be interesting to take an RV curve by those astro-combs that are supposed to bring about cm-accuracy or so, and subtract out the stellar RV, leaving only the RV of the planet.

Planet spin-axis via RM effect?
Page 1 of 1