Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Amateur Finds

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2267
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Amateur Finds Empty
PostSubject: Amateur Finds   Amateur Finds Empty21st October 2009, 5:23 am

Premiss: the things I'm going to type here SHOULD NOT break any embargo breach since paper has been published and submitted at ArXiv.org too. Moreover they also should not have a scientific significance since based on few data available and most of results come from approximations. Nevertheless what's come out sounds interesting.

Do you remember the paper A Dedicated M Dwarf Planet Search Using The Hobby-Eberly Telescope?

The paper talks about detection efficiency of low mass exoplanets around nearby red dwarfs. Even a more recent one from UVES talks about the same but observing another stock of nearby M dwarfs.

However radial velocity sets are not available in written form, but in graphical one. Employing bitmap, wordpad and a bit of patience, I've extracted vels and sys files for related stellar objects and I've performed a Systemic Console search for planets.
Results are interesting.
Most of the stars show clear signals of short-period bodies in tight orbits and few ones even hints of additional longer period companions.

Among these I notice the very nearby star GJ 687 (or BD+68 946) once suspected to host a massive substellar object in wide and eccentric orbit (>10 Mj e<0.9). Well, the best fit consist in a close-in hot earth and a "low-mass" brown dwarf (or massive superplanet) at 6.17 AUs and e=0.8.

Between survey stars there is Barnard's Star too and, obviously that is the trickiest object. I don't report anything, since neither from HET or UVES paper I've found a convincing fit.

However, briefly I've summarized observed results (Chi Square<<0.1) in graphical form to not type a "fathoms-long" topic.
I have put Sun and Mercury's mutual distances to compare with M-dwarf/planetary objects ones.
Enjoy:

Amateur Finds HETM-dwarfspt1

Amateur Finds HETM-dwarfspt2

Some planets show relatively mild eccentricity and few others high ones, but most of the objects lies in circular orbit.

Among most interesting cases I underline those of GJ 272 and GJ 671. The former shows two super-earths in close orbits and the latter a low-mass hot Neptune and a GJ 876 c-like dwarf-jovian within system's habitable zone.

Feedback is welcome.
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4319
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Amateur Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amateur Finds   Amateur Finds Empty21st October 2009, 2:09 pm

When fitting these planets in Systemic, what kind of values did you get for the F-test?

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Amateur Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amateur Finds   Amateur Finds Empty21st October 2009, 4:16 pm

Gives me chi-square close to 0 and jitter = NaN
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Amateur Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amateur Finds   Amateur Finds Empty21st October 2009, 4:19 pm

One of the things to watch out for is effect of rotation, which may mimic a planet.
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Amateur Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amateur Finds   Amateur Finds Empty21st October 2009, 4:21 pm

Even activity must be accounted. I say this little research of mine has few scientific feasibility, but it's a nice speculative work.

However the GJ 687's case is interesting, since seems to not rule out the long period superplanet in eccentric orbit and hints the presence of a super-earth too.
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4319
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Amateur Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amateur Finds   Amateur Finds Empty21st October 2009, 9:13 pm

Edasich wrote:
Gives me chi-square close to 0 and jitter = NaN
What about F-test?

Edit: After looking at the data plots in the paper you referenced, I can certainly see how you got your planets. With so few points though, it doesn't look too robust, like you said. Don't forget your fits! Maybe you can compare them later to future detections of planets around these stars.

Sedna
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Amateur Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amateur Finds   Amateur Finds Empty25th October 2009, 10:44 am

Edasich wrote:
Among most interesting cases I underline those of GJ 272 and GJ 671. The former shows two super-earths in close orbits and the latter a low-mass hot Neptune and a GJ 876 c-like dwarf-jovian within system's habitable zone.

Hey Edasich,

What are your parameters for this star ? Because after my calculations, GJ 671 c does not lie in the HZ. Or am I wrong ?

Bye

Sedna
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Amateur Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amateur Finds   Amateur Finds Empty25th October 2009, 10:59 am

Sedna wrote:
Edasich wrote:

Hey Edasich,

What are your parameters for this star ? Because after my calculations, GJ 671 c does not lie in the HZ. Or am I wrong ?

Bye

Sedna

As I've said in another thread, I have used parameters from NsTed database Amateur Finds Icon_cyclops

http://nsted.ipac.caltech.edu/
Back to top Go down
Sedna
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Amateur Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amateur Finds   Amateur Finds Empty27th October 2009, 5:57 am

Oh, excuse me, I didn't read the other thread. I used NstED too; so why a difference with the same data ?
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Amateur Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amateur Finds   Amateur Finds Empty8th October 2020, 4:09 pm

Thread bump more than 10 years after but I think it deserves some attention. Do you remember that back in 2009 I posted some very, very amateur, almost n00b-like RV solutions for nearby M dwarfs from HET sample basing on very scarce picture-deduced RV data modelled with Systemic console? Do you?

Back then SiriusAlpha said:

Quote :
Don't forget your fits! Maybe you can compare them later to future detections of planets around these stars.

Yesterday I was browsing an old Photobucket account of mine about being shut down. I've hopefully saved it from oblivion and there I found the old bitmap pictures here displaying the very tentative amateur exoplanet detections of mine.

Well, it seems that one detection claim can be done. I'm alluding to Gliese 378, for which I inferred a Neptune-size planet (ca. 11 MEarth) at about 0.035 AUs with e=0.2. Detected 10 years later by Hobson et al. (2019), Gliese 378 b was really present and turned out as a close-in 13 MEarth at 0.039 AUs and slighlty less eccentric orbit (e=0.11).

On the other hand the model of mine have seemingly failed for Gliese 687, for which I hypothesized a closer and more eccentric super-Earth and a long-period, more massive outer companion but solutions were multiple and actual planet(s) might well hide in the ambiguous RV dataset of mine. As for Gliese 328 the eccentric Jovian planet was seemingly absent but an eccentric (e=0.42) close-in (a=0.1 AUs) Hot Neptune (28.9 MEarth) was present. Will it be there for real?

As for other M dwarf no detection so far but who knows?

What about?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Amateur Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amateur Finds   Amateur Finds Empty

Back to top Go down

Amateur Finds
Page 1 of 1