Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

51 Peg b, evaporating planet?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Stalker
Jovian
Jovian
Stalker

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2008-06-16

51 Peg b, evaporating planet? Empty
PostSubject: 51 Peg b, evaporating planet?   51 Peg b, evaporating planet? Empty6th December 2009, 7:07 am

I had read a paper saying that 51 peg b does not transit, but periodical variations of brightness in UV bands is noticed, what would point out that Bellerophon evaporates as Osiris.

But I do not find the paper. Did you hear about it?
Back to top Go down
http://exoplanetes.wetpaint.com/
exoplanet
Planetesimal
Planetesimal

Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: 51 Peg b, evaporating planet?   51 Peg b, evaporating planet? Empty6th December 2009, 7:46 am

Hi Stalker,

I remember that paper. It discussed, I think, polarimetry in UV bands. It proposed that an effect observed in 51 Peg was the signature of an evaporating tail and that therefore the inclination of the orbit was close to edge-on. The paper appeared at arxiv but I cannot locate it. Never heard anything more about this...

The verification of this effect would be, I think, easily within reach of the UV capabilities of Hubble.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
exoplanet
Planetesimal
Planetesimal

Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: 51 Peg b, evaporating planet?   51 Peg b, evaporating planet? Empty6th December 2009, 8:27 am

Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: 51 Peg b, evaporating planet?   51 Peg b, evaporating planet? Empty6th December 2009, 10:08 am

exoplanet wrote:
Hi Stalker,The verification of this effect would be, I think, easily within reach of the UV capabilities of Hubble.

From what I've been able to figure out (independently, so watch out, it may be wrong), the STIS instrument on HST was the instrument that observed the evaporation of HD 209458 b. STIS broke a while back, and on the recent servicing mission (STS-125), the STIS instrument was repaired. So yeah, HST should be able to provide us with confirmation of the evaporation of 51 Pegasi b now.

Perhaps STIS should investigate some of the other transiting hot Jupiters as well.

And thanks for the link to that paper, exoplanet!

Stalker
Jovian
Jovian
Stalker

Number of posts : 540

PostSubject: Re: 51 Peg b, evaporating planet?   51 Peg b, evaporating planet? Empty6th December 2009, 11:30 am

The paper dont talk about a tail of hydrogen
Back to top Go down
http://exoplanetes.wetpaint.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 51 Peg b, evaporating planet?   51 Peg b, evaporating planet? Empty

Back to top Go down

51 Peg b, evaporating planet?
Page 1 of 1