Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Radial Velocity Question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
atomic7732
Meteor
Meteor
atomic7732

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-03-18

Radial Velocity Question Empty
PostSubject: Radial Velocity Question   Radial Velocity Question Empty4th May 2011, 9:55 pm

Lets say that a star's system is moving at 45 degrees relative to us... And a planet is detected, is the measured mass and velocity of the star half of the true mass? Or is there some square function?

And how do they find the mass of a planet given the velocity the star is moving and the mass of the star?

Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Radial Velocity Question   Radial Velocity Question Empty5th May 2011, 2:03 am

The measured (minimum) mass of a planet will the true mass of the planet times the sine of the inclination.

MRV = Mtrue sin i (or simply "m sin i" for short)

And conversely,

Mtrue = MRV / sin i.

The amplitude of the RV variations, K, is used to determine the mass of the planet using the following formula.

K = (2πastar sin i) / P*√(1 - e2)

Where astar is the semi-major axis of the star around the system barycentre, P is the orbital period, and e is the eccentricity. The K value can be used to find the masses of the two components with the "mass function":

[(mstar sin i)3) / (mstar + mplanet)2)] = P / 2πG * K3(1 - e2)3/2

Where G is the gravitational constant. In a planetary system, since the mass of the star will be much greater than that of the planet, you can simplify the mass function down to

mp sin i ~= (P/2πG)1/3 Kmstar2/3 (1 - e2)1/2

Last edited by Sirius_Alpha on 5th May 2011, 2:15 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Corrected some math.)
Back to top Go down
https://solar-flux.forumotion.com/
atomic7732
Meteor
Meteor
atomic7732

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Radial Velocity Question   Radial Velocity Question Empty5th May 2011, 8:47 pm

Interesting! Thanks.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radial Velocity Question   Radial Velocity Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Radial Velocity Question
Page 1 of 1