Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2291
Registration date : 2008-06-02

About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations Empty
PostSubject: About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations   About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations Empty21st August 2011, 6:36 am

True mass of an exoplanet can be obtained dividing minimum mass value by the sine of the inclination

To say:

Massmin = 6 Jupiter masses

Inclination = 1.5° and sin i = ca. 0.02356

Masstrue = 6 : 0.02356 = ca. 254.7 Jupiter masses = ca. 0.25 Solar masses.

This works well til the inclination is 90°, i.e. when planet is coplanar, right? When minimum and true mass coincide.

Things get strange when inclination value is greater than 90, and this is the case of HD 5388 b.

Its minimum mass was set at Massmin= 1.96 Jupiter masses and inclination value derived is i = 178.3°

If I obtain sine of 178.3, I get 0.334 and doing the math the true mass I obtain is 5.87 Jupiter masses rather 69 ± 20 Jupiter masses displayed here.

Where's the error? Is there something I should add to calculation I am missing?
I need this answer for a planet building in a highly inclined binary system.

Thanks

Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations Empty
PostSubject: Re: About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations   About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations Empty21st August 2011, 1:00 pm

You're using grad instead of degrees in your use of the sine.

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

PostSubject: Re: About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations   About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations Empty22nd August 2011, 3:00 am

I don't get.
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations   About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations Empty22nd August 2011, 6:37 am

The calculator that you are using to do the math, be sure you are in "degrees" mode, instead of "radians" or "grad."

You should get
sin(1.5°) = ~0.0262
sin(178.3°) = ~0.0297

Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

PostSubject: Re: About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations   About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations Empty23rd August 2011, 3:34 am

I got it. Had to calibrate my calculator. Now it works. Thanks Sirius Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations   About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations Empty

Back to top Go down

About HD 5388 b's mass and the true mass of exoplanets at high inclinations
Page 1 of 1