Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Definition of Super-Earth

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Stalker
Jovian
Jovian
Stalker

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Definition of Super-Earth Empty
PostSubject: Definition of Super-Earth   Definition of Super-Earth Empty18th June 2008, 2:57 pm

There is a definition now as a super-earth.
A super-earth is a planet the mass of which is more important than that of the Earth but lower in 10ME

A superb earth can be:
- Rocky (similar composition in the Earth)
- ferrous (similar composition with Mercury)
- oceanic [Covered with water and with ice (supercritical or not)]
- gaseous (mini-Neptune)

Source (French) in "dernières informations"
Back to top Go down
http://exoplanetes.wetpaint.com/
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2289
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Super-Earth   Definition of Super-Earth Empty19th June 2008, 4:57 am

This is an interesting point but it should have been poste in "Planetology subforum". Extrasolar Discoveries section is for newfound substellar/planetary objects' detection.
Back to top Go down
Stalker
Jovian
Jovian
Stalker

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2008-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Super-Earth   Definition of Super-Earth Empty19th June 2008, 5:44 am

Ok Sorry
Back to top Go down
http://exoplanetes.wetpaint.com/
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2289
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Super-Earth   Definition of Super-Earth Empty19th June 2008, 6:46 am

N.P Wink

RePost it where I said Smile
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Super-Earth   Definition of Super-Earth Empty10th September 2008, 7:57 pm

Edasich wrote:
This is an interesting point but it should have been poste in "Planetology subforum". Extrasolar Discoveries section is for newfound substellar/planetary objects' detection.

Moved.

Darkness nova
Asteroid
Asteroid

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Super-Earth   Definition of Super-Earth Empty15th September 2008, 8:38 pm

Quote :
A super-earth is a planet the mass of which is more important than that of the Earth but lower in 10ME

I don't really understand what that meant. Can somone tell me what may have been lost in translation. "or just lost to me".
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Super-Earth   Definition of Super-Earth Empty16th September 2008, 12:14 pm

Stalker seems to mean that the mass is greater than that of Earth but less than 10 Earth masses.

There seem to be several rough definitions for super-Earth which are similar but not quite the same. Some define it based on mass - e.g. 1-10 Earth masses, 5-10 Earth masses, etc. Others define it based on whether the planet retains a hydrogen atmosphere: a planet more massive than Earth but lacking a substantial hydrogen atmosphere counts as a super-Earth.
Back to top Go down
Darkness nova
Asteroid
Asteroid

Number of posts : 69

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Super-Earth   Definition of Super-Earth Empty17th September 2008, 1:00 am

Ah this makes sense.

However I wonder. Why would a 2 earth mass planet be a super earth stalker? Sounds like a really good idea but I still think it needs a bit of tweaking. Actually to be really honest with you I think a group of people from several countries need to sit down online or elsewhere and come up with a good definition using both the ones outlined here as a platform or outlne and there own judgement.

Someone other than the IAU. No offense to them but I'd rather they figure out the whole planet thing first. ((note the irony in this statement))
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Super-Earth   Definition of Super-Earth Empty17th September 2008, 7:13 pm

As opposed to the debate over what is, and what isn't, a planet, I think that a debate over the definition of "Superearth" is rather pointless.

Super means "larger", Sub means "smaller". So why not just have SubEarths, Earths, and SuperEarths? This is assuming we have to make a distinction.

If we must distinguish on mass, then what's the point? I'm sure a 0.99 Earth-mass planet and a similar 1.01 Earth-mass planet aren't too distinguishable. Is there really a need to really define "SuperEarth"?

If we go with what Lazarus' pointed out, defining them by atmosphere, then we won't know what planets we find are superEarths and what aren't until atmospheric investigations are made. Even after that there's still the prospect of a lower-mass planet still retaining a hydrogen atmosphere. Would we have superEarths less massive than non-superEarths?

If we define "SuperEarth" based on mass, I think we all agree that we would have to choose an abritrary value. If we define "SuperEarth" based on physical properties, then there are ambiguities from uncertanties, as well as issues with overlapping types (i.e. a SuperEarth being less massive than a non-SuperEarth).

Another issue is the term itself. If we have "SuperEarth", it's easy for an unaware person to assume that the planet resembles a large Earth -- i.e. a habitable Earth-like planet. With a step below that an "Earth" would, understandably, generate a lot of similar confusion. "An Earth found orbiting Gliese ###" for example... well people are going to think it's habitable. Perhaps "SuperTerrestrial", "Terrestrial", and "SubTerrestrial" would be more appropriate.

Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Super-Earth   Definition of Super-Earth Empty17th September 2008, 7:36 pm

If we want to throw another definition into the mix, consider the model for Mu Arae c proposed in the discovery paper

Quote :
Thus, we expect this object to have a massive, essentially rocky core (as opposed to icy), surrounded by a gaseous envelope with ∼5-10% of its mass. It therefore probably qualifies as a super-Earth and not as a failed ice-giant.

This model seems remarkably similar to the structure of Uranus and Neptune, except with a rocky core instead of an icy one. Uranus/Neptune-analogues as super-Earths? The terms "rock giant" or "rocky giant" don't exactly appear in the literature...

As for super-Earths more massive than low mass ice giants, no real problem in this - after all, HD 149026b indicates that there may be "super-Neptunes" reaching Saturn mass, which are indeed predicted in some simulations of accretion (pdf).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Super-Earth   Definition of Super-Earth Empty

Back to top Go down

Definition of Super-Earth
Page 1 of 1