Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2285
Registration date : 2008-06-02

SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star Empty
PostSubject: SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star   SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star Empty8th March 2011, 5:08 am

http://exoplanet.eu/star.php?st=SR+12+AB

The discovery paper. I think it's gotta be that one once labeled EK 60 b.

The widest-separation substellar companion candidate to a binary T Tauri star

Quote :
The results of near-infrared imaging and spectroscopy of a substellar companion (SR12 C), with a possible planetary mass, of a binary T Tauri star (SR12 AB) in the ρ Ophiuchi star-forming region are presented. The object is separated by ~87, corresponding to ~1100 AU at 125 pc, and has an H-band brightness of 15.2 mag and infrared spectra suggesting a spectral type of M9.0 ± 0.5. It is confirmed that SR12 C is physically related to the ρ Ophiuchi star-forming region from its common proper motion with SR12 AB and its youth is confirmed by a gravity-sensitive spectral feature. Furthermore, based on the number of known members of the ρ Ophiuchi star-forming region in the area in which SR12 AB exists, the probability of a chance alignment is ~1% and it is therefore likely that SR12 C is physically associated with SR12 AB. The mass of SR12 C is estimated by comparing its estimated luminosity and assumed age with the theoretical age-luminosity relation. SR12 C is identified as an extremely low-mass (0.013 ± 0.007 M ) object, but its separation from its parent star is the widest among planetary-mass companion (PMC) candidates imaged to date. In addition, SR12 C is the first PMC candidate directly imaged around a binary star. This discovery suggests that PMCs form via multiple star formation processes including disk gravitational instability and cloud core fragmentation.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
SuperEarth
SuperEarth
Daniel

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2009-11-14

PostSubject: Re: SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star   SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star Empty8th March 2011, 10:30 am

What going on with EPE? Now EPE it's a mess! look this recent "planets" discoveries:

HD 22781 b minimum mass 14.2±0.52 MJ i'ts certainly a brown dwarf
CD-35 2722b mass between 31 ± 8 MJ it's a brown dwarf no doubt of it

And now SR 12 ABb 13 ± 7 MJ the object mass it's between 6 MJ at 20 MJ around a T Tauri star.

and I'm not count here,the old discoveries high mass object of the last years (most with only minimum mass, then the true mass classifies this object as brown dwarfs, there is not doubt about it)

come on Jean Schneider!

I think than the EPE need more organization
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star   SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star Empty8th March 2011, 12:42 pm

These objects do fit criteria for inclusion. They do seem high mass, but consider the uncertainties in their mass. It's also worth pointing out that the astronomical community is not as certain as you seem to be regarding where the difference between brown dwarfs and planets are.

CHXR 73 b and DH Tau b have also shown up in the candidates section.

Daniel
SuperEarth
SuperEarth
Daniel

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2009-11-14

PostSubject: Re: SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star   SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star Empty8th March 2011, 2:40 pm

thanks for the information of the criteria for inclusion Sirius, now this make sense to me.
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star   SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star Empty8th March 2011, 2:43 pm

I'm not entirely convinced this is EK 60 at the moment. Annoyingly enough I'm pretty much unable to find any references to this catalogue anywhere, which makes cross-identification trickier.
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2285
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star   SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star Empty8th March 2011, 5:01 pm

Lazarus wrote:
I'm not entirely convinced this is EK 60 at the moment. Annoyingly enough I'm pretty much unable to find any references to this catalogue anywhere, which makes cross-identification trickier.

Well in this paper http://arxiv.org/abs/0905.0439
it is reported EK 60 as for Kuzuhara et al. (in preparation) and it seems an interesting coincidence
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star   SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star Empty

Back to top Go down

SR 12 ABb - Substellar (planetary?) companion to binary T Tauri star
Page 1 of 1