Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Malbolge to Gliese 526

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Malbolge to Gliese 526 Empty
PostSubject: Malbolge to Gliese 526   Malbolge to Gliese 526 Empty22nd September 2013, 3:10 pm

Greg Laughlin is sending "hello world" to Gliese 526... as a Malbolge program...

At a distance of 17.6 light years, we have until about 2049 before the relativistic missiles hit... Razz
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

PostSubject: Re: Malbolge to Gliese 526   Malbolge to Gliese 526 Empty22nd September 2013, 3:47 pm

...which incidentally means they'll arrive at roughly the same time as the relativistic missile response to the Bebo Gliese 581 spamfest...
Back to top Go down
pochimax
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo
pochimax

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Malbolge to Gliese 526   Malbolge to Gliese 526 Empty23rd September 2013, 10:08 am

But any advanced civilization will surely have a soon alert system of defence.

We may have the relativistic missiles sooner than you think Sad 
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Malbolge to Gliese 526   Malbolge to Gliese 526 Empty23rd September 2013, 10:53 am

Lazarus' 2049 date is a best-case scenario (or a worst case scenario for us). The signals to GJ 581 and GJ 526 will both travel at the speed of light. If the relativistic missiles are launched when these respective systems get the transmissions, and assuming they travel almost light-speed (not being able to travel light speed itself of course), then the 2049 date is what you get from the math.

pochimax
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo
pochimax

PostSubject: Re: Malbolge to Gliese 526   Malbolge to Gliese 526 Empty23rd September 2013, 2:30 pm

... But maybe they can have an sphere of detection systems and relativistic missiles, a few or more light years away from their planet. Radiotelescopes distributed far away from their home.

In that case (an It is only a joke, I hope) they detect the transmission in less time, before the signal gets their planets, and their answer is an earlier arrival of their missiles...
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

PostSubject: Re: Malbolge to Gliese 526   Malbolge to Gliese 526 Empty23rd September 2013, 2:34 pm

A joke?!

I thought it was obvious that the reason the detection of Gliese 581 g is so controversial is because it isn't a planet but a giant relativistic missile launcher and they keep moving it around to aim at new targets.

(Hey, it's at least as scientific as certain alien-related "news" stories this week...)
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Malbolge to Gliese 526   Malbolge to Gliese 526 Empty23rd September 2013, 6:17 pm

pochimax wrote:
... But maybe they can have an sphere of detection systems and relativistic missiles, a few or more light years away from their planet. Radiotelescopes distributed far away from their home.
Whether the signal travels to the planet first, or if it travels from Sol to a detection network, then to the planet, there is no way to speed up the response time. The speed of light is also a limitation on the speed of information. The shortest, fastest route between two points is a straight line.

pochimax
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo
pochimax

PostSubject: Re: Malbolge to Gliese 526   Malbolge to Gliese 526 Empty24th September 2013, 7:31 am

Very Happy 
Ok, I don' t explain well, you know it is not my mother language...

I' m trying to say that the detection network has artificial intelligence enough to take decisions and lauch the missiles. And the missiles has a short trip, moreover, than if are lauched from their planet.

so it is not necessary that the signal reaches the home planet, in fact.

Obviously i hope it was only my stupid imagination!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Malbolge to Gliese 526   Malbolge to Gliese 526 Empty

Back to top Go down

Malbolge to Gliese 526
Page 1 of 1