Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

HIP 11915 Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Led_Zep
SuperJovian
SuperJovian
Led_Zep

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2011-09-09

HIP 11915  Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin Empty
PostSubject: HIP 11915 Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin   HIP 11915  Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin Empty15th July 2015, 2:06 pm

http://www.eso.org/public/unitedkingdom/news/eso1529/

Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin

An international group of astronomers has used the ESO 3.6-metre telescope to identify a planet just like Jupiter orbiting at the same distance from a Sun-like star, HIP 11915. According to current theories, the formation of Jupiter-mass planets plays an important role in shaping the architecture of planetary systems. The existence of a Jupiter-mass planet in a Jupiter-like orbit around a Sun-like star opens the possibility that the system of planets around this star may be similar to our own Solar System. HIP 11915 is about the same age as the Sun and, furthermore, its Sun-like composition suggests that there may also be rocky planets orbiting closer to the star
Back to top Go down
Shellface
Neptune-Mass
Neptune-Mass

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: HIP 11915 Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin   HIP 11915  Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin Empty15th July 2015, 3:51 pm

The SIMBAD link, and a direct link to the paper. Good to see some first results from that survey, I'd been keeping an eye on it for a while (though I haven't bothered to study most of their targets).

With quite a healthy rms-of-residuals, I would say there's a decent prospect for interior low-mass planets. Comparisons to the solar system are perhaps somewhat premature, but this certainly looks like an interesting system.
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: HIP 11915 Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin   HIP 11915  Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin Empty15th July 2015, 6:20 pm

Nice to see the consideration of the possibility of stellar activity: Jupiter-analogues and G-star magnetic cycles are annoyingly in the same period range, so definitely something that needs to be taken into account (IIRC this possibility has been used to question the case for the Jupiter-analogue at HD 154345, not sure if that's been decided one way or another yet).
Back to top Go down
Stalker
Jovian
Jovian
Stalker

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2008-06-16

PostSubject: Re: HIP 11915 Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin   HIP 11915  Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin Empty18th July 2015, 3:42 pm

After reading the paper do I have to understand that this planet is unconfirmed? The use of "candidate" in rv related discoveries is a bit ambigious.

Shellface
Neptune-Mass
Neptune-Mass

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: HIP 11915 Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin   HIP 11915  Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin Empty18th July 2015, 7:13 pm

From my position, I would call it a "strong candidate", but not "confirmed" just yet. The correlations with the activity indicators are suspicious, but a planetary scenario still looks considerably more favourable based on current data, considering their model including a correlation parameter supports the presence of a planetary signal.
Back to top Go down
Stalker
Jovian
Jovian
Stalker

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2008-06-16

PostSubject: Re: HIP 11915 Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin   HIP 11915  Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin Empty18th July 2015, 7:34 pm

What with this 3σ indicator *cow poop*, I dont even know how to find it or whatever.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HIP 11915 Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin   HIP 11915  Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin Empty

Back to top Go down

HIP 11915 Jupiter Twin Discovered Around Solar Twin
Page 1 of 1