Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Stars, BDs, planets and anything in between

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bruno
Micrometeorite
Micrometeorite

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-05-07

Stars, BDs, planets and anything in between Empty
PostSubject: Stars, BDs, planets and anything in between   Stars, BDs, planets and anything in between Empty8th May 2010, 9:35 am

Hello folks,

I am wondering about how to distinguish between low mass stars, brown dwarfs and planets
when masses are at or near the canonical limits more or less established by the
astronomical community.
For example, the HBMM (Hydrogen Burning Minimum Mass) is roughly 0.07-0.072MSun for objects
with solar abundances and would be 0.093MSun for objects with zero metallicity.
Also, I imagine that it is possible to have a star with a mass even lower than 0.07MSun if its
metallicity is higher than Sun's. After all, you have planet-bearing stars with
abundances as high as 2x Sun's.
Then you have a pretty large range of masses, into which you could have stars and BDs mixed
(if, of course, that ages, abundances or lithium presence are not known).
I think the same is true for the BD-Planet boundary, or worse, that this boundary is less
well-defined than the former... I have read elsewhere of the 13-14MJup limit without any
or little further consideration regarding how abundances and other variables change this limit!
What's your opinions?
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Stars, BDs, planets and anything in between Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stars, BDs, planets and anything in between   Stars, BDs, planets and anything in between Empty8th May 2010, 5:44 pm

As you point out, the deuterium fusion limit has a lot of variables. There's problems with using it as a cut-off between the planet-BD bondary as young, higher mass gas giants are able to fuse deuterium for a brief time before they cool down. As a result, some of the objects that we currently call planets may well have been fusing deuterium in their past.

A better discriminate may be the method of formation. Brown dwarfs may form by disk instability, and planets may form by core accretion. A problem with this, however, is that some objects we would rather consider brown dwarfs are in neat, orderly orbits, often with multiple other objects (Ups And, HR 8799?, Iot Aur).

Stars, BDs, planets and anything in between
Page 1 of 1