Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

CoRoT Results

Go down 
+25
Galzi
ExplorerAtHeart
Roland Borrey
marasama
tommi59
Mongo
Bruno
Stalker
Sedna
Daniel
exofever
TheoA
Stardust
lodp
philw1776
AlexFR
tesh90
Anarres
Michael Johne
exoplanet
Borislav
jyril
Darkness nova
Edasich
Sirius_Alpha
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty7th January 2010, 3:09 pm

Found the original reference I was thinking of...

http://www.colloquium.eu/congres/09COROT/docs/posters/P-VIII_86_timing_binaries.pdf

Quote :
For CoRoT: if the amplitude of the perturbation is 10s and its period is 70 days, the minimum mass of the third body is 0.23 Jupiter masses (if mB=0); however, if binary's mass is 1 solar mass then m3>60 MJ.

For Kepler: if the amplitude of the perturbation is 10s and its period is 150 days, the minimum mass of the third body is 0.1 Jupiter masses (if mB=0); however, if binary's mass is 1 solar mass then m3>47 MJ.

Both missions can only detect circumbinary objects of planetary mass around binaries with masses smaller than 0.1 solar masses (stars later than M8).

LITE is favored by the presence of massive objects; with the current design of these missions it is difficult to arrive to the region of the parameter space where circumbinary planets can be found.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
SuperEarth
SuperEarth
Daniel

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2009-11-14

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty7th January 2010, 5:22 pm

then now i'm confuse because the two scientific papers are in contradiction with each other

the

[url]

and

[url]

Do you know Lazarus ? anybody know? because now i don't know

far as i know most of the scientific paper that i read i'ts a favour of circumbinary planets detection with such missions like Kepler or Corot,...

but now i don't know....

Last edited by Sirius_Alpha on 7th January 2010, 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing urls ;))
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2285
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty7th January 2010, 5:28 pm

Eeeew!!! My eyes are bleeding looking at this awful link paste!! Laughing

Please, Daniel, edit the post.

Just kidding Wink
Back to top Go down
Daniel
SuperEarth
SuperEarth
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty7th January 2010, 5:54 pm

i don't know why that happen with my post! CoRoT Results - Page 9 Icon_eek sorry Edasich CoRoT Results - Page 9 Icon_biggrin sorry everybody CoRoT Results - Page 9 Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty7th January 2010, 6:15 pm

I fixed your urls =o.

I'm not sure what the contradiction is you speak of. Could you perhaps point it out?

Daniel
SuperEarth
SuperEarth
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty7th January 2010, 6:39 pm

ok Sirius_Alpha, this scientific paper say that kepler and Corot could detect Circumbinary Planets by timing variation

http://www.iac.es/galeria/hdeeg/pubs2002/BioAstro02_submitycorr.pdf

scientist Laurance Doyle he has the responsibilitiy for detection of extrasolar planets around eclipsing binary systems with Kepler

like say here on this site: http://www.seti.org/doyle

however lazarus point out this scientific paper on the forum the kepler and corot couldn't detect such circumbinary planet by timing variations...

see here:

http://www.colloquium.eu/congres/09COROT/docs/posters/P-VIII_86_timing_binaries.pdf

now... it is possible detect such circumbinary planet with Kepler and Corot or not?
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty9th January 2010, 1:21 am

Okay, I think I see what's going on.

The detectability of a planet is a factor of many things.

Binary mass -> Higher mass binary = shorter orbital period = lower transit-timing amplitude (and radial velocity amplitude for a single star).

Orbital period -> Greater orbital periods = higher amplitudes, but take longer to detect. CoRoT's observation window is 50 days so if the orbital period >> 50 d, CoRoT probably won't be able to detect the planet simply because it hasn't been observing long enough. Kepler, providing constant observation of one field, will have a better chance of detecting such planets.

Planet mass -> Obviously, the more massive the planet, the greater the transit-timing amplitude will be.

As you see, whether or not CoRoT can detect planets around eclipsing binaries depends on the situation. The example Lazarus gave:

Lazarus wrote:
Assuming total binary mass of 2 solar masses, planet mass of 1 Jupiter mass, orbital period 50 days (to match the length of time CoRoT observes the field) and an edge-on planetary orbit, the light travel time fluctuation has a semi-amplitude of about 80 milliseconds. This is going to be very challenging to detect - I recall seeing a paper which claimed CoRoT could not detect circumbinary planets by eclipse timing because for planets with orbital periods which are comparable to the observation time, the light travel time variation is too small to detect.

This method for detecting planets favours stars of low mass ( = higher transit timing amplitude):

Quote :
For CoRoT: if the amplitude of the perturbation is 10s and its period is 70 days, the minimum mass of the third body is 0.23 Jupiter masses (if mB=0); however, if binary's mass is 1 solar mass then m3>60 MJ.

For Kepler: if the amplitude of the perturbation is 10s and its period is 150 days, the minimum mass of the third body is 0.1 Jupiter masses (if mB=0); however, if binary's mass is 1 solar mass then m3>47 MJ.

As you can see, both spacecraft can make the detection, but only if the binary mass is low. Furthermore, Kepler is in a better position to do so (Due to the extended observation window).

Daniel wrote:
now... it is possible detect such circumbinary planet with Kepler and Corot or not?
To answer your question, as with every other detection method, it depends on the planet, and in this case, the star(s) it revolves around.

Daniel
SuperEarth
SuperEarth
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty9th January 2010, 12:07 pm

thank you Sirius Alpha to explaim the situation CoRoT Results - Page 9 Icon_smile ,now i understand

then look like that Kepler go to be better for the job of detect circumbinary planets,so now lets just wait for kepler results,maybe corot too,how knows. CoRoT Results - Page 9 Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty11th January 2010, 11:39 am

Updated parameters for Corot-6 b:

http://exoplanet.eu/star.php?st=CoRoT-6
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty11th January 2010, 9:06 pm

Edasich wrote:
Updated parameters for Corot-6 b:

http://exoplanet.eu/star.php?st=CoRoT-6

Transiting exoplanets from the CoRoT space mission IX. CoRoT-6b: a transiting `hot Jupiter' planet in an 8.9d orbit around a low-metallicity star
http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.1426

Abstract wrote:
The CoRoT satellite exoplanetary team announces its sixth transiting planet in this paper. We describe and discuss the satellite observations as well as the complementary ground-based observations - photometric and spectroscopic - carried out to assess the planetary nature of the object and determine its specific physical parameters. The discovery reported here is a `hot Jupiter' planet in an 8.9d orbit, 18 stellar radii, or 0.08 AU, away from its primary star, which is a solar-type star (F9V) with an estimated age of 3.0 Gyr. The planet mass is close to 3 times that of Jupiter. The star has a metallicity of 0.2 dex lower than the Sun, and a relatively high $^7$Li abundance. While thelightcurveindicatesamuchhigherlevelof activity than, e.g., the Sun, there is no sign of activity spectroscopically in e.g., the [Ca ] H&K lines.

Daniel
SuperEarth
SuperEarth
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty12th January 2010, 8:52 am

the is nothing of news(except Updated parameters) on CoRoT-6b, it's been 3 years and the only impressive news was CoRoT-7b the super-earth size planet

i know that still a lot data for corot exoplanet science team analyzing, but i was expect more for corot.

kepler mission impress me much more,in they first science run
Back to top Go down
exoplanet
Planetesimal
Planetesimal

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-06-16

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty12th January 2010, 10:12 am

Hi Daniel,

Sirius_Alpha just posted the link for the paper on Corot-6b in the previous post.
There are at least 4 more planets on the way soon Question : Corot-8b to Corot-11b.

The Corot mission was not designed specifically for the detection of exoplanets, the telescope is far smaller than Kepler's (important for S/N) and the mission does not (or at least did not) have the kind of infra-structure that Kepler has to support ground operations and the follow up of exoplanet candidates.

They also have some tricky problems with data analysis that delayed discoveries further.

It is not easy to do cutting edge science...
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty12th January 2010, 10:39 am

Corot-11 b?? Where have you heard this?
Back to top Go down
exoplanet
Planetesimal
Planetesimal

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty12th January 2010, 11:25 am

There was an article in Ciel & Espace, a french astronomy magazine, about Corot.
In it these 4 new planets were mentioned. No further details though.
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty12th January 2010, 3:10 pm

Longer orbital period than the typical hot Jupiter, and fairly low metallicity for a HJ system. Hmmmm.
Back to top Go down
Sedna
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty15th January 2010, 2:21 pm

exoplanet wrote:
There are at least 4 more planets on the way soon CoRoT Results - Page 9 Icon_question : Corot-8b to Corot-11b.

exoplanet wrote:
There was an article in Ciel & Espace, a french astronomy magazine, about Corot.
In it these 4 new planets were mentioned. No further details though.

I read that magazine too, and, well, I think it's very speculative. To answer to Edasich, in the introduction of the article, there is the sentence: "Only 11 extrasolar worlds have been detected by the satellite Corot, after 3 years of mission."
Personnaly, I don't know where they found the four other planets. I should send them a letter about this and see what their answer is.
But, apart from that, this is a very interesting article.
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dK star
dK star
Edasich

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty15th January 2010, 2:52 pm

Considering how much "top secret" they like to be, I don't think they're gonna answer you something convincing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Borislav
Jovian
Jovian

Number of posts : 564
Registration date : 2008-11-12

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty1st March 2010, 3:37 pm

Back to top Go down
Stalker
Jovian
Jovian
Stalker

Number of posts : 540

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty1st March 2010, 4:00 pm

Quote :
Possibly one more planet (CoRoT-7d?) ~15 times Mearth and 9 days period but confirmation requires 100 – 200 additional observations with HARPS
Back to top Go down
http://exoplanetes.wetpaint.com/
Borislav
Jovian
Jovian

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty1st March 2010, 4:30 pm

Stalker wrote:
Quote :
Possibly one more planet (CoRoT-7d?) ~15 times Mearth and 9 days period but confirmation requires 100 – 200 additional observations with HARPS

http://www.astro.ex.ac.uk/esp09/presentations/Bouchy_Monday.pdf
Back to top Go down
Borislav
Jovian
Jovian

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty9th March 2010, 3:15 pm

http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object/.../object/doc.cfm?fobjectid=46536
Quote :
CoRoT: Malcolm Fridlund
After more than 1100 days in space, CoRoT continues to operate nominally but with only one
half of its initial Field-of-View following the failure of one of the two data processing units. A
newly found exoplanet, CoRoT-9b, is the subject of an article accepted for publication in Nature. Slightly less massive than Jupiter, it has a low eccentricity orbit with a period of 95 days. Given its host star luminosity, the planet surface temperature should be in the range 300 to 500 K. A further four articles on new Neptune-size to Jupiter-size planets have been submitted for publication. Several candidates are awaiting final confirmation wile around 100 further potential exoplanets are being followed-up for photometric and spectroscopic confirmation. About 20 hours of ESA observing time on the OGS 1m telescope in Tenerife is assigned to such follow-up programmes each month. CoRoT exoplanetary candidate host stars are observed at the expected time of the transit as well as out of eclipse. The OGS data are then transmitted to ESTEC for reduction and analysis. This turns out to be an efficient method to screen-out false candidates triggered by a background eclipsing binary in the large CoRoT pixel.
Back to top Go down
Borislav
Jovian
Jovian

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty9th March 2010, 3:43 pm

Who knows, how much time passes between the sending and publication of an article in the Nature?
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty9th March 2010, 5:21 pm

They might be checking it for moons. A planet that far from its star may well have them.

exoplanet
Planetesimal
Planetesimal

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty17th March 2010, 2:11 pm

CoRoT-9b just announced:

http://exoplanet.eu/star.php?st=CoRoT-9

DEEG H., MOUTOU C., ERIKSON A., CSIZMADIA Sz., TINGLEY B., BARGE P., BRUNTT H., HAVEL M., AIGRAIN S., ALMENARA J.-M., ALONSO R., AUVERGNE M., BAGLIN A., BARBIERI M., BENZ W., BONOMO A., BORDE P., BOUCHY F., CABRERA J., CARONE L., CARPANO S., CIARDI D., DELEUIL M., DVORAK R., FERRAZ-MELLO S., FRIDLUND M., GANDOLFI D., GAZZANO J.-C., GILLON M., GONDOIN Ph., GUENTHER E., GUILLOT T., Den HARTOG R., HATZES A., HIDAS M., HEBRARD G., JORDA L., KABATH P., LAMMER H., LEGER A., LISTER T., LLEBARIA A., LOVIS Ch. MAYOR M., MAZEH T., OLLIVIER M., PÄTZOLD M., PEPE F., PONT F., QUELOZ D., RABUS M., RAUER H., ROUAN D., SAMUEL B., SCHNEIDER J., SHPORER A., STECKLUM B., STREET R., UDRY S., WEINGRILL J. & WUCHTERL G. , 2010

A transiting giant planet with a temperature between 250 K and 430 K

in Nature , 464 , 484
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty17th March 2010, 2:18 pm

Gaahh!! You beat me to it by six minutes. Laughing I need to step up my attention. Razz

Pretty cool that this is finally official.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CoRoT Results   CoRoT Results - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

CoRoT Results
Page 9 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next