Extrasolar Visions II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extrasolar Visions II

Extrasolar Planets.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Planet TablePlanet Table  Log in  

Edasich's Work

Go down 
+13
Daniel
Dnoces
marasama
tarkuk
lodp
Giangore
Stalker
Sedna
Darkness nova
NuclearVacuum
Sirius_Alpha
Lazarus
Edasich
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Edasich
dG star
dG star
Edasich

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty15th July 2009, 12:36 pm

I would like to share some (real) exoplanetary systems I have made with Celestia, both popular both recently discovered. Most are Hot SuperEarth planets.
Nevermind about names featuring on the top; those are referred as tentative planetary names for a science fiction of my own.
I'd like to share, maybe I could think about something at Celestia Motherlode in the future. Perhaps.

Here for you:

1) - Corot-exo-7 b (actually I would own a Celestia addon with a 3-planets system)

Edasich's Work Corot-exo-7b

2) - My version of Iota Horologii b (NuclearVacuum, have some fun!) Razz

Edasich's Work IotaHorologii

3) - Gliese 876 d, the nearby Hot Earth

Edasich's Work Gliese876d

4) - HD 89744 A system. Note: the red-glowing objects at planet's left are the brown dwarf pair in wide orbit around HD 89744 A.

Edasich's Work HD89744System

5) - 14 Herculis b and an hypotetical Earth-mass (glacial) moon, with ammonia and oxygen-rich atmosphere too. Note: Zeus refers to the gas giant, not the moon.

Edasich's Work 14Her

6) - 23 Librae b ,with an arid satellite, neither Earth-like nor Venus-like. Just halfway, but not so much habitable at all.

Edasich's Work 23Librae

7) - 70 Virginis b, like Whathmough's version

Edasich's Work 70Virginis

8 ) - And to finish, my username star, Edasich, Iota Draconis with planet transiting.

Edasich's Work Edasich
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty15th July 2009, 4:11 pm

Nice work here... got any tips on how you make your textures?
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Number of posts : 4320
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty15th July 2009, 5:31 pm

Shocked Wow those are excellent textures.

NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty15th July 2009, 10:02 pm

I love them!

But what do you mean by "have some fun!"?

Edasich
dG star
dG star
Edasich

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty16th July 2009, 4:39 am

Quote :
Nice work here... got any tips on how you make your textures?

I have used both standard Solar System textures both some "free-use" rock surface textures I've found in the web (especially for rocky planets). Then so much PaintShop.

Plus I've found an interesting tutorial about making gas giants at DeviantArt (maybe also suggested in previous EV Forum):

http://dreamingsky.deviantart.com/art/Cooking-with-Gas-9776794

It works well also with PaintShop (and it's maybe easier than PhotoShop)

Quote :
I love them!

But what do you mean by "have some fun!"?

Since you have already done a reconstruction of Iota Horologii of your own, I meant to show you mine Razz
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty16th July 2009, 8:41 am

Did you make the 70 Vir b texture using that tutorial? And what about pole pinching? Have you addressed the issue with those textures?

NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty16th July 2009, 7:50 pm

Edasich wrote:
Since you have already done a reconstruction of Iota Horologii of your own, I meant to show you mine Razz

Oh... Embarassed Sorry, I didn't understand it when I read it.

Edasich
dG star
dG star
Edasich

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty17th July 2009, 7:20 am

Quote :
Oh... Embarassed Sorry, I didn't understand it when I read it.

No problem Wink

Quote :
Did you make the 70 Vir b texture using that tutorial? And what about pole pinching? Have you addressed the issue with those textures?

Nope. I've just come up with this texture blending jupiter and neptune's ones with PaintShop. Playing with hue/saturation and other effects, there's a lot of "serendipitous" textures available. Laughing
For example GJ 876 d is based mostly on Mercury's one, with few changes.
Back to top Go down
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty17th July 2009, 9:53 am

Edasich wrote:
Quote :

Nope. I've just come up with this texture blending jupiter and neptune's ones with PaintShop. Playing with hue/saturation and other effects, there's a lot of "serendipitous" textures available. Laughing
For example GJ 876 d is based mostly on Mercury's one, with few changes.

That's funny. I do the same thing. Neutral silent

Edasich
dG star
dG star
Edasich

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty19th July 2009, 9:32 am

Some more stuff: What a Face

9) - 109 Pisces b and a frozen (but habitable enough) moon

Edasich's Work 109PscandMoon

10) - Very low mass (and young) brown dwarf AB Pictoris B

Edasich's Work ABPicb

11) - Alioth (Epsilon Ursae Majoris) *notice the brown dot at star's right* ....

Edasich's Work Alioth

...and it's extremely hot substellar (planetary?) companion B, with glowing red nightside affraid

Edasich's Work AliothClose-Up

12) - The close eclipsing binary CM Draconis from a putative Earth-sized planet (the planet is in front of star B here)

Edasich's Work CMDraplanetlimb

13) - Chthonian planet HD 219828 b

Edasich's Work HD219828bChthonianPlanet

14) - Tau1 Gruis b, water jovian

Edasich's Work Tau1Gruis

15) - And to finish a couple of exotic systems: the rogue planet S Ori 70 (though classed as T6 dwarf at SIMBAD)

Edasich's Work SOri70

16) The pulsar SWIFT J1756.9-2508 ...

Edasich's Work SWIFTPlanet-sizedobject

....and its eerie planet-mass (and planet-sized) companion. cyclops

Edasich's Work SWIFTJ1756b
Back to top Go down
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty19th July 2009, 4:00 pm

I can't come up with a single answer for how much I am enjoying these pic.

... wait! Distanza, raggia, diametro apparente? You're from Italy?

Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty19th July 2009, 7:16 pm

NuclearVacuum wrote:
Yeah he is, even I knew that. Razz

Edasich, the planets in your images appear extremely oblate on my screen. Do they appear normal on yours?
I wonder if SWIFT J1756.9-2508 b is tidally distorted.

Edasich
dG star
dG star
Edasich

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty20th July 2009, 4:35 am

Sirius_Alpha wrote:
NuclearVacuum wrote:
Yeah he is, even I knew that. Razz

Edasich, the planets in your images appear extremely oblate on my screen. Do they appear normal on yours?
I wonder if SWIFT J1756.9-2508 b is tidally distorted.

Probably because they are all re-sized. Original size was much bigger for a forum topic Rolling Eyes

About SWIFT, yes it should, with such a shrunk radius (nearly 7 Earth radii for a 7 Jupiter mass object...).
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dG star
dG star
Edasich

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty31st July 2009, 9:25 am

I've kept pictures in original size, hoping they're not still distorted (and hoping they don't encumber the thread too much...) Rolling Eyes

17) - 94 Ceti b and moon. A real "hot-ocean" world, alike Dollan's BathyPelagic planets in ArcBuilders Universe.

Edasich's Work 94CetibandMoon

18) - HD 37605 b, eccentric hot jupiter.

Edasich's Work HD37605bEccentricJovian

19) - HD 80606 b, the most eccentric (transiting) exoplanet ever detected. Yes, the bright star at planet's right is HD 80607, 1500 AUs far away from exoplanet host.

Edasich's Work HD80606b

20) - 2M 1207 B, young super-jovian in TW Hya Association.

Edasich's Work 2M1207B

21) - HD 29587 B, brown dwarf with Earth-sized and highly active moon. Notice the fiery rifts glowing in the darkness. It resembles this artist's rendering

Edasich's Work HD29587BandMoon

22) - And finally a curious system I have found: 2M 1237+6526 and unseen VLMO (i.e very low mass object).

Edasich's Work 2M12376526System

According to Binarity in Brown Dwarfs: T Dwarf Binaries Discovered with the Hubble Space Telescope Wide Field Planetary Camera 2, the primary is a nearby late T-type brown dwarf (namely 2MASS J12373919+6526148) that shows interesting variations. If not due to activity or youth, these would hint the presence of a massive jovian planet (minimum mass between 3-12 Jupiter masses) in very tight orbit (<0.003 AUs!).
Gosh! affraid
Back to top Go down
Darkness nova
Asteroid
Asteroid

Number of posts : 69

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty14th August 2009, 9:09 pm

Very nicely done edasich. I like how you do these hot earths, aka 94 ceti, gliese 876 and hd 29587 planets and moons....and the frozen planet is nice as well. What'd you use to get the texture for hd 29587's moon? The surface looks nice, however are you sure the clouds on such a moon would be white? I mean it is covered in volcanism so you'd think they'd be more along the lines of the color of ash no?

Also thanks for the cooking with gas tutorial. I found a way to.....sort of get it to work with the gimp and the results aren't bad. Not as good as with photoshop but meh.
Back to top Go down
Sedna
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty15th August 2009, 3:07 pm

Hi Edasich,

I just discovered this topic with your artworks (damn it, I'm so late !). I think it's just... awesome ! Great work ! But I have some remarks to say about your rendering of 2M 1207 b. Astronomers have discovered (a couple years ago I think) that the planet is situated in a cloud of gas and has got a ring (maybe for moon accretion). They also discovered a dust disk around the star, and there are eruptions on the star itself.

I wonder if you could reproduce that on Celestia.

Bye

Sedna
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty17th August 2009, 6:17 am

As I understand it, a ring around 2M1207b was hypothesized to explain why the planet is a few magnitudes underluminous. I don't recall if this was confirmed.

There's work being done with sprites in Celestia that will model all the behavior you describe very nicely.

Sedna
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty17th August 2009, 3:08 pm

Hypothesized ? I never heard something about that. But if I could re-find this paper (omg web is so big !).

Sprites aren't bad, but it would be better with millimeter-sized rocks (or micron-sized ones), the sprites I've seen are entirely made of gas. Apart from that, I could tell more details about this system (one of my favourites) but you will think that I am a psychic. Plus, if Edasich reproduces that, I want to see the results.

Bye

Sedna
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dG star
dG star
Edasich

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty23rd August 2009, 2:32 pm

Darkness nova wrote:
Very nicely done edasich. I like how you do these hot earths, aka 94 ceti, gliese 876 and hd 29587 planets and moons....and the frozen planet is nice as well. What'd you use to get the texture for hd 29587's moon? The surface looks nice, however are you sure the clouds on such a moon would be white? I mean it is covered in volcanism so you'd think they'd be more along the lines of the color of ash no?

Thank you, Darkness. Right, I agree with you the atmosphere should look hazier and rich of ashes. I have several cloud textures to test. I think I can fix this.

Quote :
I just discovered this topic with your artworks (damn it, I'm so late !). I think it's just... awesome ! Great work ! But I have some remarks to say about your rendering of 2M 1207 b. Astronomers have discovered (a couple years ago I think) that the planet is situated in a cloud of gas and has got a ring (maybe for moon accretion). They also discovered a dust disk around the star, and there are eruptions on the star itself.

I wonder if you could reproduce that on Celestia.

Thank you, too, Sedna. I'd have two options: either test a peculiar ring texture with sparse rocks rather lines or generate many many many satellites. Since the latter options sounds quite hard, I think I'm going to try the former. Laughing
I will notify you if there are result, maybe in next update.

Meanwhile here is a little update with some "vintage" exoplanetary stuff (though unconfirmed or putative astronomical objects). Razz

23) 97-BLG-41: who remembers this one?

Edasich's Work 97-BLG-41Planet

As far as I know the planet seemed to be disproven since 1999. Actually I've found a paper from 2002 that still predicts stability model for a circumbinary 3 Mj jovian planet around the system's barycentre (0.6+0.16 MSo, i.e. a late K/M star + late M dwarf at 1.5 AUs).

24) 98-BLG-35: another unconfirmed system.

Edasich's Work 98-BLG-35Planet

According EPE there an Earth-mass object should be located 1.5 or 2.3 AUs away from a likely M4 dwarf. With inferred HZ=0.11 AUs alike GJ 581, the putative planet could resemble the other microlensing planet MOA-2007-BLG-192-Lb.

25) Gliese 176 b: hazy "hot-house" super-earth. I think. Neutral

Edasich's Work Gliese176b-1

26) HD 149382 b: B subdwarf + tight orbit brown dwarf. The most extreme planetary system so far. cyclops

Edasich's Work HD149382system

27) HH 211: protostar (currently proto-brown dwarf, with 50 Jupiter masses) with protoplanetary disk and possible far away protoplanet (here not displayed).

Edasich's Work HH211protostarandproplyd

According to scientist the protostar is accreting together proplyds, therefore the system should likely evolve into a low mass star + brown dwarf system in the future, since accreting protoplanet yields 8 Jupiter masses at the moment (being surrounded by a thick ring of dust and particle as heavy as 1.5-4 Jupiter masses). Re-Gosh! affraid
Back to top Go down
Sedna
Planetary Embryo
Planetary Embryo

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty23rd August 2009, 3:23 pm

Edasich wrote:
Thank you, too, Sedna. I'd have two options: either test a peculiar ring texture with sparse rocks rather lines or generate many many many satellites. Since the latter options sounds quite hard, I think I'm going to try the former. Laughing
I will notify you if there are result, maybe in next update.

Hi again Edasich,

Creating a whole lot of moons (maybe billions with the size of a town) will take a lot of code's lines. Futhermore, it will be wrong because a collision with a Neptune-size planet happened recently and such moons cannot form with a few thousand years of time. Option one is better, much better. So now, I sit and wait until you're done and if you have questions, ask me and I will answer.

Bye

Sedna

PS: I didn't even know that the 97-BLG-41 planetary system exists, even though it's classified as disproven.
Back to top Go down
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3337

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty23rd August 2009, 3:53 pm

The light curve of 97-BLG-41 can be explained by the orbital motion of the binary stars, you don't need to invoke a planet as well. In this model, both stars are M dwarfs (the most probable parameters appear to put the secondary right at the star/brown dwarf dividing line). {Link}

Incidentally the Wikipedia page for MACHO-98-BLG-35 is pretty spectacular in its awfulness, going wrong in the very first sentence where it is stated that it is a star, rather than the designation of a microlensing event...
Back to top Go down
Edasich
dG star
dG star
Edasich

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty9th September 2009, 1:59 pm

Little update: some "hot" planets *oh the bad pun!* Edasich's Work Icon_razz

28) Corot-1 and planet: it just needed a picture, didn't it? Edasich's Work Icon_lol

Edasich's Work Corot-1

29) HAT-P-7 and planet: so did this one.

Edasich's Work HAT-P-7b

30) WASP-18 and planet. The biggest and hottest so far.

Edasich's Work WASP-18

31) BD+20 1790 b: young and close-in superplanet.

Edasich's Work BD201790YoungHotJupiter

32) Cataclysmic variable OY Carinae and superplanet: if confirmed it would the first planet orbiting a dwarf nova.

Edasich's Work OYCarinaeandSuperplanet

Minimum mass 16 Mj and orbital period nearly 80 years (around 17 AUs).
Here circumbinary disk has been enphasized for artistic purpose. Edasich's Work Icon_cyclops
Back to top Go down
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet
NuclearVacuum

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty9th September 2009, 2:59 pm

Edasich wrote:

23) 97-BLG-41: who remembers this one?

Edasich's Work 97-BLG-41Planet

As far as I know the planet seemed to be disproven since 1999. Actually I've found a paper from 2002 that still predicts stability model for a circumbinary 3 Mj jovian planet around the system's barycentre (0.6+0.16 MSo, i.e. a late K/M star + late M dwarf at 1.5 AUs).

I'm still a believer in this planet. ^_^

Edasich
dG star
dG star
Edasich

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty10th September 2009, 11:29 am

Quote :
I'm still a believer in this planet. ^_^

So am I! Edasich's Work Icon_razz

However, sorry for annoyance, but I just meant to add this requested and updated version of 2M 1207 b protoplanet.
I've still to find a way to get clear rocky bodies around the dust rings, but visible debris displayed seems work good, doesn't it?
I hope you like it. Edasich's Work Icon_cat

2M 1207 b the first certain protoplanet imaged.

Edasich's Work 2M1207b1

Edasich's Work 2M1207b2

Edasich's Work 2M1207b3
Back to top Go down
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin
Sirius_Alpha

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty10th September 2009, 12:31 pm

Amazing ring system Edasich's Work Icon_eek.

Though a bit awkward that the planet casts now shadow in the inner accretion disk.

Sponsored content

Edasich's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edasich's Work   Edasich's Work Empty

Back to top Go down

Edasich's Work
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next